1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Buzz

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by tite, Feb 17, 2008.

1. tite

tite

Jan 1, 2008
    I've been using the double bass my school lent me for awhile now, and I have had no problems with it, but all of a sudden im startin to get buzz when im playing with my fingers. When I play with a bow there is no problem at all. does anyone know what might have happened? I

2. When you play pizz the strings tend to vibrate a little more erratically and have more of a up and down motion. This causes some notes played pizz to buzz more than a bowed note. This at least has been my experience, especially on the A and E strings.

3. tite

tite

Jan 1, 2008
    I have been playing upright for awhile now, jazz mostly, so I know about how much buzz there usually is. There is just an insane amount right now for some reason. Nothing has changed on the bass.

4. kurtsnyder

kurtsnyder

Oct 31, 2006
    Nashville
    My fingerboard sometimes buzzes if it starts getting a little grimy. If your bass has an ebony fingerboard, take a rag and wet it with rubbing alcohol and put a thin layer of the rag between the string and fingerboard. That normally clears things up for me. Just be careful to not let the alcohol touch the finish!

Use a damp rag to clean the fingerboard if it's not real ebony. Just a guess...

5. tite

tite

Jan 1, 2008
    Thanks ill try that. If it doesnt work I guess ill have to get it repaired :[

6. washtub_bass

washtub_bass

Aug 10, 2005
    Detroit
    Before you take it to the shop, try moving the bridge up towards the neck a half inch, then re-tune

7. tite

tite

Jan 1, 2008
    the bass i have is very ******. I am afraid if i moved the bridge it would fall apart lol. The reason it was making the noise had something to do with the end-pen being loose. tanks for the help tho