1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass cables!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by woolz, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woolz

woolz

Sep 2, 2008
    hi there people this is my first post here so go easy!!!
    im after a decent lead for my bass guitar and i cant seem to find bass around! im after one made for the bass and with a lifetime warranty. ive seen the fender bass platium cables but i dont think they have a warranty!

cheers.

2. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Bass specific cables... Now I've heard everything.

3. woolz

woolz

Sep 2, 2008
  4. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Monster markets cables specifically as "bass cables". You can find them at Musicians Friend and others. However, I have read quite a number of positive comments from members here about Bayou Cables and you can have them customized for less than what you would pay for a Monster bass cable. The only negative I have found so far with Bayou Cables is that Butch is a one man operation and cables are made one at a time. I ordered my first cable a month ago (was told it would take a couple weeks) and I'm still anxiously waiting to hear that it shipped.

Craig

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Bass specific is a marketing ripoff (and do a search, you'll find tons of posts about cables).

Want a lifetime warranty? I know Monster has one. LiveWire (I think it is GC's house brand) has one as well.

-Mark

6. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    I've been using the same long black ones for 10 or 12 years. Not sure of the brand but the tips are switchcraft.

7. woolz

woolz

Sep 2, 2008
    did do i quick search but couldnt really find much info!
    anyone used the ELIXIR cables?

8. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    I use the planet Waves Cables, and they have a lifetime warranty

9. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I use Planet Waves cables and they are (in my opinion) as good as they come. I think the quality of your bass, the pickups, your saddles, your nut, the coupling, and of course your amp and cab have far more of an effect than the cable used.

Another thing to realise is that the longer your cables is the larger the capacitance and voltage drop. In laymans terms, the longer your cables the more trebble is cut and the lower your volume! There is no way around this, its physics. However, an oxygen free cable is the best bet.

The best solution (particial) is active pickups, which prevent the pickups from becoming 'loaded down' by long cables and effects.

:bassist:

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    cheapo:
    monstercable( make a "basscable" which I used to have , but gave away)
    mit cables( make a bass cable too which I still use with an ashbory)
    planet waves ( strictly backup basket)

"nicer" ones:
    solidcables ( is ok, but some top end hype)
    the chordcompany "cream" .( middle of the road cable that feels slightly sticky. I like the colour)
    zaolla ( quite some top end hype")

"nice ones"
    vovox ( I like the feel of this one)
    van den hul "integration hybrid" ( very nice midrange. perhaps the "most interesting" sounding I have)
    van den hul "the second" ( no top end hype and "just right" as far as my personal taste goes)
    analysis plus "pro oval studio" ( is a stiff cable, but very nice indeed)

These are a few that I have, but nice and nicer are obviously stating personal perception and preference only.
    All do obviously work for bass.:)

I use a passive instrument.
    If an active bass is what you use , the effects of the cable may be less apparent .

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I'm not buying the "top end hype" bit - the major factor in passive instruments and cable leads is capacitance, which cannot add anything, but can only take something away. That's why the Monster Cable that's labeled a "bass cable" is deficient in higher frequencies - it's a high capacitiance cable, and higher frequencies are thus being lost when used with a passive bass.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Besides Bayou, one could choose low capacitance, durable well-shielded products (use braid, not foil for cables that get moved around during performance!) with quality connectors from many longstanding rpoviders such as Whirlwind, Horizon, Rapco, etc etc etc (their raw cable may be Canare, Mogami, Belden, etc). Usually these companies have some cheaper stuff as well, so make sure you aren't buying spiral shielded cable. Many of the companies have lifetime warranties, or did, last time I checked.

13. Any instrument specific cable is a hoax. Period. What they typically do is attenuate the *other* frequencies, giving the impression that you are getting more of what you paid for. It's a sad, sad joke.

Get Bayou Cables. Butch is a TB'er, and is a great guy who is not going to try and scam you like many others. Just because he's not high-priced does NOT mean he's low quality. He uses the industry standard in cable: Mogami and Canare, and uses G&H and Neutrik connectors.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Nothing is really 'bass specific'! It's all marketing! I suggest getting some Pro-Co or Whirlwind cables. As someone else suggested, Bayou Cables are top quality as well. I personally will not give a dime of my money to Monster Cables!

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I am obviously not talking about a cable adding anything.
    In certain cables the top end comes across as more present and sometimes unproportionally so.
    This is what I mean.

16. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

imho the best solution is an extremely high input impedance (>1Megohm) on your preamp or DI. That way you can still use passive pickups if you prefer.

That, and learning to solder so you can make your own cables.

17. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    at such low frequencies the cabling is not going to produce noticeable effects on your sound.

maybe if you have a baseband spectrum analyzer or an audio analyzer you could tell the difference, but we would still be talking a few % difference between cables.

18. There was a whole article dedicated to leads in a recent Bass Guitar Magazine article. Some of the leads featured ranged from very inexpensive, to a ridiculous £12,000 I think! Like is often said on here often, you get what you pay for. The article did mention cables that have been specifically designed to handle the bass signal 'better' than conventional leads, whatever that might mean. Some cables discussed had been designed to only allow a signal through one way.

I have invested in a Fender cable costing £40, and will last me a very long time if it's well looked after. It's very heavy duty with good moulded jack sockets, and no tangle etc. It is actually a bass specific lead, but cost the same as a standard guitar one. I couldn't tell you if it's better than a conventional lead for this reason.

19. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NY/NJ Metro Area

listen to this kat. he knows what he's talking about.
    throw Evidence Audio cables in there as well, specifically the Lyric HG

20. funkboy5

funkboy5 19mm + 35" = :-) Bass'd on a true story Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    San Antonio, TX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.