1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nordic27, Feb 17, 2008.

1. nordic27

nordic27

Jul 30, 2006
    Lee's Summit MO
    I play 5 string electric bass with a mostly acoustical trio consisting of hammered dulcimer, acoustic guitar, mandolin, and electric piano. We have to fly to about 80% of our concerts. I want to upgrade to a really good small bass cab and head that will be within the requirements of airline size and weight restrictions (61 linear inches & 50 lbs.) The sound I like is a full warm tight bottom end, with smooth mids and non harsh highs. I am considering the following: Avatar SB112, Epifani UL2 112, Genz Benz LS 112T, Schroder Mini 12+ Light, Eden D112 XLT, Gallien-Kruger Neo112, & Bergantino HT-112. I am now starting to research heads to go with the eventual cab selection. Now I haven't yet played any of these but I would appreciate any thoughts from you TB'ers as I value your experience and opinions on cabs and heads before I go out to put my ear to the grille so to speak. Thanks in advance for helping me to sound better.

2. Macher

Macher

Aug 29, 2006
    Montreal
    I once borrowed a Markbass 112P combo for a electric/upright bass gig. It was light, was enough powerful and sounded great.

They also sell heads, but why not getting a small combo?? I was amazed by the sound of the Markbass, and it is so simpler to travel with a combo.

3. I have an Epifani UL112. I'm very happy with it, and to my ears it has the sound you describe. It's great for upright. I usually use a UL410 with a five string electric in a bar band, and when I use the UL112 in that setting I sometimes tweak the mids back just a bit. The guitar player in the band has remarked on how good (and loud) the little cabinet sounds.