Bass Capo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tiredman9, Sep 26, 2005.

1. tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Where can i get a bass capo?
  2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    A regular capo would hold down your strings just fine. I'm unaware of any "bass specific" capo. That said, what do you need one for? The primary purpose of a capo is to allow guitar players to play "open" chords in different keys. I don't see what it would add to bass guitar.
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not in the techniqe section!
    superHEAVYfunk likes this.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I use one of the cheap nylon strap around the back style of capo on my bass for setups.

I used to use a capo on one ZZ Top song. I think it was one of the later more keyboard oriented songs. It allowed you to play the entire bassline on open strings.

It was more of a stupid party trick. You could stand there with a beer in your hand for the entire song :cool:
  5. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    get a shubby (sp?), it puts equal pressure on all the strings.
  6. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I use a capo every gig on "Tomorrow Never Knows", I have the "one-hand" type that just clamps on, and removes easily. I don't remember the brand. Make sure you get one that fits your fingerboard radius.
  7. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Get a Kyser made specifically for 12-string guitars. Fits most 4 and 5 string basses comfortably. You gan get them just about anywhere, Musician's Friend, GC, etc.
  8. munificent

Mar 15, 2005
    I've actually wondered about a capo too. I need it because when a guitarist puts a capo on it puts the tuning of the guitar a little sharp (about 20%). I've considered getting a capo for my bass to get the same change to keep in tune.

The problem is that both of my guitarists' guitars are affected differently by the capos, so there's no hope of us all being perfectly in tune anyway. I just try to pull my notes a bit until they sound right.
  9. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Are you sure he's placing it correctly? Capo right behind the fret will sharpen the pitch.
  10. munificent

Mar 15, 2005
    I'm confused. Are you saying that using the capo correctly will cause the result I describe?
  11. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    It has been my experience that placing the capo right behind the fret will cause the tuning to go sharp. Placing it further back, but not so far that there's string buzz, will reduce or eliminate this problem. Your mileage may vary.
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've used a Shubb 12 String and a regular clamp on Kyser with good results.
  13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i use it on the low E.

in some songs we are in Drop D and in some we are standard.

it's just a lot easier.

plus better tone (IMO) with an open E instead of the second fret while in Drop D (or first in Eb)
  14. Anyone who wants to hear a good capoed J-bass should give Opeth's "Windowpane" a listen. Martin Mendez uses it on the second fret to get the open-string tones of the F# transposition, and it works well and makes the song easier to play overall.
  15. ajb2804

Apr 30, 2005
    not to be a jerk or anything but.......
    WHY ON EARTH DO YOU WANT A CAPO ON A BASS?in 25 years of playing,never even heard of using a capo on a bass.
  16. For kicks, really. Just to experiment.

Never bad to be open-minded :D
    DwaynieAD likes this.
  17. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    it's easier. in SOME cases.

for instance one song my band has called pantomime.

we use Drop D. but the intro bass line i wrote with a capo on the 2nd fret of the low D(E) string. it is played pretty quickly.

for example it's easier to play this

Capo on 2nd fret, so open is now an E

than this

i just use it for one song.

i don't see the point in using it for every song. just change the tuning.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You should wear a red thong while using the capo. It'll restore the credibility you'll lose when you put that capo on your bass.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Munji, your tagline is the red thong of taglines ;)

ajb, if you have read this thread and still have to ask that question, then maybe you should read it a little harder.
  20. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    I have a P bass with a fat 1968 Telecaster neck I sometimes use that I "D" tune down a whole step (using Labella strings that are specifically made to be tuned down a whole step). It is cool to capo it at the second fret to get to standard "E" tuning because the character of the tone is essentially that of a short scale bass (about 30" rather than 34") which is tubby and deep. It is also useful to capo at the first fret to get the Eb tuning for Hendrix and other blues tunes. I will admit though that it is necessary to retune after clamping the capo biggie there really. Its a little nerdy but useful.