Bass Care?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Wyzird05, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    I have had my new carved upright bass for almost four weeks and I am thrilled with it. A week after picking the bass up I bought a humidifier to keep the room at 50% humidity. I wipe the bass, tuners, and strings down after playing and then put it on the stand till I practice the next day. What should I do to properly care for my bass? Are there any websites out there I can read about bass care?

Thank you,
  2. Congratulations on getting your new bass! I keep mine in their cases when I'm not playing them. I live in the North East where the humidity will go down to <30% during the cold part of the winter. I keep the humidifiers set to around 45-55% - I've had no problems so far (touch wood!)... I've been advised NOT to use the "Dampit" thingies, as people tend to overload them, and the excess moisture which ends up inside the bass often causes more problems than does the dry atmosphere!

Hope this helps -

- Wil
  3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Talk Bass has more practical info about the double bass than ANYOTHERSINGLESOURCEINTHEGDWORLD! Ya just gotta peruse the locked newbie threads or be more specific in what you want to know.