1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass case (bag) on a budget

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by CarolynF, Oct 28, 2013.

1. CarolynF

CarolynF

Oct 28, 2013
    Redding, ca
    I know there is another thread on this, but it stretches over several years, and I wanted to start a fresh one.
    As of last April, I'm the proud owner if my first bass, a Kay Swingmaster. And now it's time for me to get around to getting a case for it. I'm trying to stay under $150. I see that there are lots of opinions and reviews out there, but this seems like the best place to go.
    I'm a very careful person, but I want good protection for the money. I've also seen reference to ripped seams, inconvenient handles, failing zippers, etc. that I wish to avoid. And I know that I won't end up using it if it is a pain to put it on.

What about this one? http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product_details.cfm?ProdID=1346
    Any others worth consideration?

2. Keep your eye on eBay and the classifieds forum on this page for a used Mooradian 3/4 in good shape. I picked up two that way, at different times, for $50 each. They should last me for many years.

3. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    A used Mooradian is the way to go. Hands-down they make the best cover. Call around to your local bass shops, they may have one hanging around. My Kay has a Mooradian cover that was sitting in the corner of the shop when I bought the bass.

4. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    And like magic, a Mooradian bag appears in the classifieds.

5. I recently got one of these and am very happy with it: Eastman Deluxe gig bag. It's basically the same "Presto" bag that comes stock with Eastman basses, but with thicker padding. The thinly padded stock bag I have has survived nearly four years of constant jams, festivals, and gigs with only minor wear and no zipper or seam failures. I just wanted something with more padding for my fragile vintage Epiphone, and this was the ticket. I picked up the model without wheels, which is $166.