Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Cellos

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bdengler, Aug 26, 2005.

1. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Is anyone aware of any other types of electric "bass cellos", other than the NS Design version or the Jensen model, in which it's basically a "bass" instrument tuned in 5ths?

Thanks, Brian

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  3. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Hard to say what makes the difference between a cellobass and a shortscale EUB (34" or shorter). You have the Kydd Bass (30"), Gougi in France who makes the Jannick Top model (34"), the Vektor Bassett (36"). What about the Zeta Crossover (34"), the BSX Flip (34"), the very short Clevinger Paquito (23 1/4 "), Conklin MEU (34") etc etc.

You tell me...

4. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    I believe the Kydd basses and Zeta Crossover are meant to be tuned in 4ths. I was more interested in the instruments like Jensen's and the NS Design that can be tuned in 5ths.

Brian

5. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    True, however any instrument can be tuned in 4ths, 5ths or whatever. Red Mitchell tuned his URB in 5ths (like a cello 8va basso). Michael Manring tunes his bass guitars in umpteen different ways.

But if you´re after cello fingering on an instrument tuned like a bass, I think the Jensen Cellobass is worth checking out, since it has a 69.5 or 77 cm scale. Eric Jensen is also a nice person.

Maybe an electric cello could be tuned like a bass, with the right strings. I know that Martin Clevinger occasionally converted his electric celli to short scale EUBs.

Mikael

6. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Mikael, thank you for the good ideas.

Brian