Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Clef Help.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Hello...

I am just beginning to read bass clef,and I would like to learn some songs by using it...

Does anyone have a site where I can find some songs that are on bass clef and somewhat easy to play?

I have a book full of songs w/ clef...but it has the TAB right under it,and my eyes often wander....and also,I'd hate to cover up every single tab in the book:p

Thank you.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hmm... you might get a better response over in GI. Insert whooshing noise here.

3. you're right...thanks alot.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Click the little link in my signature ;)

It's a lifesaver!

5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    a few basic ideas:

1)The line between the dots is F
    2)Lines, from bottom to top, are Good Boys Do Fine Always.
    3)Spaces, from bottom to top, are All Cows Eat Grass.

6. and the spaces are All Cows Eat Grass...I know that,I know how to read it...just would like to get more fimiluar with it.

thanks anyways though:)

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That is how you get familiar with it.

The best thing for you to do right now:

Make flash cards. On one side, write the note, and on the other side, draw the staff with the corresponding note. Quiz yourself both ways. See the note, and say what letter it is. Then once you can do that, reverse it. Look at the letter, and tell what space or line it is. Practice is the only way. There is nothing to do other than practice.

8. Yes teacher;)

Actually...thats not a bad idea at all.

and also,you reminded me that I have an assload of Homework to take care of.

Thank you Ganny-poo.:p

9. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I know you want songs, but believe me, I learned this myself, it is easier to learn to clef and become fluent in reading it like that than to go to songs right off the bat.

You must crawl before you walk. You must walk before you run.

You are crawling. Songs are running. Time to go for a walk ;)

10. then I guess tab is taking a taxi:p

11. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I agree. If you don't know what those lines and spaces are named it will be extremely difficult to learn the notes and so forth...one thing at a time is the key.

Get yourself a good beginner theory book that discusses learning the bass clef and then goes on to exercises written in bass clef. Getting yourself a book like "Note Reading Studies For Bass" would also be valuable to you. :)

12. Yeah...I got a teacher,and he is basically going over the timings and things while I learn bass clef...so its like two birds with one bass:)

I like the flash card idea...

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Im trying to learn how to read too Osama. I had the same problem as you with tab and I cant have anything in front of me with tab on it. I have the real books and Im trying to learn jazz tunes. I start with the chord chart. I run through the song over and over again until I know the chart and have a grasp on the rhythm. Then reading the staff is easier because the notes under the chord are related either through chord or scale tones.

Also dont overlook the melody of songs because its the essence of what the song is and it will reveal more about how the bass line serves the song. My teacher wont let me move on to a new tune without learning the melody first. That means learn treble clef too! :eek: ;)

14. I'm trying to learn Bass clef first,because thats what I am working on now...but I do think treble would be a good idea too.

:)

Thanks for the help...

How long have you been bassin' Metron?:confused:

15. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ive been taking lessons for a few months but Ive played bass (electric) for close to ten years. I really wish I had gotten started sooner with instruction but oh well I had my hands full with getting a degree in engineering. I started on double bass almost three years ago and thats what made me decide to take lessons because its a daunting instrument to learn on your own. How long you been playing osama?

:bassist:

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Xavier G posted this on his lessons thread last week, you might want to read it.

[​IMG]

17. I started in December of '02...

18. What would happen if you would goto the 2nd octave?(24th fret on G string)

19. Nevermind...I see it,Sorry....:(

20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

At that point you have entered the G clef.
    The C above the F clef is Middle C, half way between the 2 clefs.

By the time you get to the E 21st fret you are in the G clef.

5 stringers that use EADGC should particularly note this, as the 9th fret on the C then goes into the upper clef.

Also, Xavier's thread has a NICE diagram to use.
    It's really not that hard, and it will stand you in good stead forever to be able to sight read the parts off of sheet music, fake book, etc.

Thor