Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Collar Support

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by LaFaroBass, Mar 24, 2005.

1. I trying a new endpin that a fellow bassist made out of parts from a hardware store and my collar broke! The endpin is bent and the torque was so great it broke the wooden collar. I love playing with a bend endpin, any ideas about how to evenout the weight on the block or the collar so its not so bad? Thanks!

Joe

2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    If your endpin is bent you should probably get a new one :D

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I had a very similar experience with the original pin in my bass. I would think that a very high quality conventional plug would be less likely to fail, but in reality, you are asking it to function in a way it was never designed to function.

The best bet is the laborie or egg pin. They are designed specifically for that purpose. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Is this a common problem? I am planning on getting a bent endpin (the Eggpin won't fit over my collar), but not if it will crack the existing collar.

5. I've been using a bent endpin in a standard collar off and on for a couple years now with no problems; it's the plain brass collar you see on a lot of basses, with the ten mm solid rod. Lined with cork. I think just about every dealer in the world can get one for not a ton of dough... or, bore a hole in your bass and get the laborie pin...

6. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    I began using the EggPin in 1993, and love the way the bass balances - however I snapped two Goetz sockets as a result of the additional torque. Not only that, the setscrews were prone to stripping out because the threads were so fine. When I was on my 3rd socket, for a while I inserted a short 10mm rod into the socket for some more rigidity, but it was kind of a pain... I talked to a friend who is a master instrument repain technician - the solution we came up with works great.
    He bored out my (healthy) Goetz socket to the width of the collar, and inserted a titanium shaft - so the core of the socket is a metal rod. The shaft is drilled out to accept a conventional endpin or wheel shaft. It is very stable, and I no longer worry about about my bass crashing to the ground unexpectedly...

7. Please say retailers,

8. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    I purchased my eggpin back in '93 from Robertson's in NM. Last time I was at Shank's Strings in Elizabethtown, PA, he had one in stock.

9. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    forget the eggpin and get the laborie pen that fits in a whole at the bottom of your bass at an angle, it is a much better design.

There is some question as to put it straight back or at an angle to the left. If you are 5'10" or less, you might try straight back.

George vance has them. they are cheaper and lighter and better, they really take a lot of torque off the bass and open the sound up.

10. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Alex makes an excellent point - the Laborie pin provides excellent support & the bass sounds very open.....

The only drawback is that once the hole is drilled in the bass, you are locked into that angle for the long haul. With the eggpin, you can adjust several different angles to discover what works best for you. Just a thought.