1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass cutting out?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SkinnyP411, Dec 8, 2011.

1. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    Hey guys, so my bass is cutting out and giving off weird crackly noises! I know it's not the cables(that's what it sounded like at first) because I tried all those cables with my jbass and they worked perfectly. What do you think is going on?? It's an ESP ltd C-305 and is like new(well...it used to be)

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Bad output jack connection is my guess.

3. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    How would I fix that?

4. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    How do I fix that?

5. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    Sorry for the double post

6. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    open the control cavity and bend the metal jack retainer in towards where the cable end is when you insert it. make sure the cable is NOT inserted when you begin bending. if the retainer end shows abrasion or road rash where the tip of the cable meets it, it needs to be replaced. competent luthier can do it in less than five minutes and he/she might even have a more robust plug to replace it with

i had to do this to my '94 carvin 5 years ago for the same problem

7. tangentmusic

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Un-screw the output jack terminal. Look for any signs of bad soldering. Solder if necessary. Also make sure the cable/cord makes solid contact within the jack. You may only need to bend the jack inward slightly to make better contact with the cord. I'd try this first.

8. tangentmusic

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    We were thinking the same thing here. Great minds think alike!

9. If it's cutting out and/or crackling when you wiggle your cable, and the cable is known to be good, it's almost got to be the output jack in your bass. Sometimes, these go bad from being rough with them. Sometimes they can just get some corrosion on them, which prevents a clean contact. Before you invest in a replacement, try chasing the jack with a 22 caliber (yeah, the gun) bore brush. I've had this problem in the past, and now I keep one of these in my case, at all times. You can also gently polish your cable ends with Scotchbrite - the jack in the bass may not be as forgiving as the amp.

10. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    I don't know if i should've mentioned this before but it has an active 3 band EQ.

11. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    Thanks guys! I opened it up, changes the battery and cleaned out the input a little and there we go! It plays like a dream!