1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass distortion help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CN2667, Nov 19, 2018.

1. CN2667

CN2667

Mar 15, 2018
    Hey guys I recently started playing bass for a local band and they want me to use a distortion, fuzz, or overdrive. I've been using my Fuzzrocious 420 Fuzz but its too much for bass. What I am looking for is something that will have some clean signal + dirt or at the very least some distortion with note definition. I'm more of a guitarist and when I play bass I prefer not to use any effects but I want to give them the sound they are looking for. I was looking at the MXR M85 or maybe even trying to go OCD or Rat but I figured I would ask you guys for suggestions.

2. Get a Source Audio Aftershock, play with the engines. You can play with all kinds of dirt sounds and blend to your heart's content. Even if you don't like the Aftershock format, you will at least have gotten to know what you like in dirt sounds without spending money on many different boxes.

3. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    This is a great suggestion and I vote you try the Aftershock as well if you aren't sure what dirt tone you want to use. If you don't want to deal with the trial and error of trying out different distortion pedals this is the best way to go especially if you don't plan to use lots of effects on bass.
    The Aftershock has settings for basically every prominent bass fuzz, distortion, and overdrive tone you can find. You will definitely find a tone that pleases the band. If you're used to dialing in different distortion tones the learning curve on using the Neuro editor isnt bad and it's a lot of fun to tweak.

javi_bassist likes this.
  4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    420 FUZZ is definitely too much (and a fuzz) if you're looking for distortion. I helped work on the MXB Bass Distortion, so if you have questions, I can help.

Beefystick and Sunset Shalom like this.
  5. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    I use a Behringer GDI21, which is a clone of the Tech 21 GT2 as my high gain distortion set flat on the California/Clean/Off Axis setting.

Intended as a guitar preamp but works excellently as a bass distortion as well, and with all the possible different settings and a 2 band EQ it gives you a lot of tone options.

Justin Chancellor from Tool use it as part of his dirt chain too.

Here's a bass demo of the original Tech 21 pedal, used as a distortion effect, but really the Behringer is almost an exact clone and much cheaper:

Grahams Groove and Crystalman85 like this.
  6. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Yeah Sansamps are nice, useful for the DI features too. And they come in so many flavors.

Aside from the Behringer clones Joyo also makes the American/Brit/etc Sound pedals though they don't have clean blends or DI outputs.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    +1 on the source audio aftershock. I've recently bought one once again and it sounds pretty killer.

8. CN2667

CN2667

Mar 15, 2018
    That looks like everything I need. Should be here Friday. Thanks so much!

9. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
  10. CN2667

CN2667

Mar 15, 2018
    Yeah I didnt have any bass pedals so I pulled it off my guitar rig hoping to get by. Its a great pedal though.

I grabbed the Source Audio since I dont want to keep buying pedals until I find something that both the band and I agree on. They have been playing awhile and have a sound already in mind that is a bit different than what I would go for.

11. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Way Huge Pork Loin, Pork & Pickle or Green Rhino MKIV

CN2667 likes this.
  12. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    These two have knocked all other drive pedals off my board... highly recommended.

20768DA2-9280-4340-BD6A-62D7958494F4.

13. Rob Nelson

Rob Nelson Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2018
    I’m a big fan of the Amptweaker TightRock Jr. Gives you a couple different tonal options without being overboard with knobs and switches, plus it has a built-in clean blend so you don’t lose all the low end. You can dial in anything from a little bite to full-on grind. I’m a David Wm Sims wannabe, and I can nail the Jesus Lizard bass tone with it.

amptweaker and Frodolicious like this.
  14. dwade

dwade

Feb 15, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm curious about the MXR distortion unit. I have the Bass Overdrive M89 & a few others. The M89 is a little too warm for me. Too much low end overdrive. I'd rather have something that goes more into guitar frequencies, if that makes any sense. Any information you have on the MXR distortion is appreciated. THANKS!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  15. Maxfenderbass

Maxfenderbass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    Damnation Audio MBD-1