1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass for player who likes go "ALL MUD" on the amp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by serruto, Mar 12, 2009.

1. serruto

serruto

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, I'm talking about getting a subsonic low frequency to mimic the ultra low subass of drum machines (think prodigy, Placebo). My band plays electro pop with some brithish pop influence here and there and I'm looking for the kind of sound that fills the whole room without that annoying boxie midrange that so many bands favor nowdays. I crank the bass knob all the way up, scoop the mids (less than half way) and cut the tone in the bass and in the amp all the way down.
    Oh and i play fingerstyle exclusively. I'm down to three choices Jazz bass, P or thunderbird ( this last one gives me the lows that I'm craving but I know many players in my style of music who play t birds use a pick and the bridge pup, so I'll be way too much mud with my style of playing and amp setting). I really dont like the tone of humbucker bridge basses ala stingray, the tone is way too midy for my taste and i cannot live without the lows of a neck pup
    Any suggestions? No flaming

2. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Line6 has an amp model in their X3 called SubDub that does EXACTLY what you need. I'm not sure, but I bet you could find an effect or something to do this (BBE maximizer comes to mind).

The option for an instrument would probably include a piezo bridge pup, as they capture a lot of lows, but you'd need to eq the mids and highs out.

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    [​IMG]

4. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    +1 to the gibson baby bass as a good option.

Another good option is the Rick 4001/3. The neck PU is very easy to EQ for a good muddy low bottom with not a lot of mids. In fact, it's hard NOT to get a muddy low bottom with no mids out of it.

LS

5. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    I had one of those Gibsons way back when. That thing was nothing but low!

6. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Jazz or P for sure. I'd go for the Jazz. It also gives you a whole lot of builders to choose from, since everybody makes one. You also might consider a Warmoth project. Just pick your pickup configuration and away you go.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I would have to respectfully disagree about a muddy neck pup on a Ric. Smooth, yes, muddy, no way. The Tbird or EB certainly fits the bill, though.

8. RomanS

RomanS

Nov 18, 2008
    Vienna, Austria
    [​IMG]

9. +1
    Had one and it was nothing but mud. Awesome for dub, unfortunately not much else (for me).

10. DEFINITELY the muddiest are the Gibson(/epihpone) eb-0/eb-3 and the fender/squier telebass with the humbucker. The squier telebass has insane lows for not much $$.

Out of the stuff you listed, I would probably go with the P + tone rolled all the way down. A thunderbird would be a good option too.

11. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    P_ATTLTD11_SF. or billy%2Bsheehan%2Byamaha%2BBB714BS.

12. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    +1 to the EB0 (or neck pickup of an EB3) - you'll get that sound without rolling off the tone, and with all amp settings somewhere in the middle.

You know most people who own these basses call the neck humbucker a mudbucker - try one and you'll see why.

If money is an issue either get a mudbucker from ebay (theres always a few up) and install it - or buy a 'Kalamazoo' bass, which has one in too. Completely different woods, and a lot cheaper than a Gibson, but the same sound more or less.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Honestly, I think that ANY bass can be EQ'd/boosted to be little more than the fundamental of the string. You can't get any "muddier" than that.

Once a nearly pure fundamental tone is found, the questions then become "are those frequencies low enough for what you want" and "is your rig going to be able to deliver them at the level you want?"

BTW, I will not be attending any of your performances...:bag:

14. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Try a .15uF OD cap. The '70s Guild HB pickups are also muddy, about 36K.

15. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's good enough for Bill Laswell:

[​IMG]

16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    good lawd!

+1 to an active piezo bridge system. a good one will sound "bigger" than any magnetic pickup, with more extension in both directions. eq out the mids and highs, and it will be huge and dubby.

that said, +1 also to a plain ol' jazz or p through the right system. with enough power, speakers and eq, it'll still get you there.

17. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA

Interesting...I actually have this pedal and use it for this purpose more than for envelope funking. Why is it that with the sensitivity down it turns into a mad reggae machine?

18. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Filtering = removing energy from the signal. In this case, you are asking the "machine" to remove all upper partials (mids and highs) and stay that way (no change in filter parameters with amplitude envelope). Any questions? :p :p :p

19. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks, that actually makes some sense. At least the first part, haha

20. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Filter parameter changes are what make the Wah sound as the envelope (shape of signal energy that gets cut/boosted/or not) unfolds. Think the the pedal in the setting you desribe as being stuck on the "W" part of "Wah."

Say the word WAH slowly and loudly. That is a filter with an envelope that changes (unfolds) at the speed of your jaw dropping. Your mouth (and mine) is a filter. Say it backwards for fun. Hee, hee.

We change the filter parameters by where we hold and how we move our tongue, lips, jaw, etc. Think of these as filter setting that can move dynamically through time. :ninja: