1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Bass Head Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hayes7613, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Hayes7613

Hayes7613

Dec 17, 2020
    I recently purchased a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 4X10, 8ohm 600 watt cab. I’m looking to purchase a new head for it and need suggestions. I am only running this one cab. Looking to spend no more than $600 on the head.

2. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I picked up a GK MB 500 for myself last winter that has impressed me every time I've been able to use it at a gig - my band played a few outdoor shows this year through the warmer months. Depending on the music you're playing and if you're okay with shopping the used market, there are 800 watt GK heads (MB, Fusion) out there for around $500-$600.

The pair of 2x10 cabs I'm using are both rated for 350 watts RMS and 8 ohms. I can say that my MB 500 sounds enormous through these cabs, so you may not even need to look for any more power than that to run your 4x10.

3. Hi there,
    Lots of great amps under $500 that will work great with your cab.
    The one thing is, is it's hard to recommend something when we don't know what kind of music you play or what your band dynamics are like, have you played out in bars in the past or will you be in the future. I think more info is needed here to make the best recommendation. Having said that here is what sub $500 gets you.

TC Electronic Thrust BQ 500w $ 248
    Peavey Minimax V2 600w $399
    Hartke LH 500w $399
    Ampeg PF 500w $449
    Hartke LX5500 500w $449
    Traynor SB 500w $449
    and finally the Fender Rumble 500w if you can find one, they seem to be out of stock most places.

500 watts into an 8 ohm cab will give you roughly between 250 and 350 watts depending on the make.

I play a GK MB500w fusion which has been discontinued but if you can find one used they are great sounding.

Best of luck.

4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Since it's been mentioned I will second that GK MB heads play very nicely with these Mesa cabs (I own the same cab and an MB500). IME the GK heads in general seem to pair well with Mesa PH cabs (and vice versa). I think it's because the GK voicing is quite similar to the Mesa Carbine voicing in many respects. A used Mesa D-800 or other Mesa SW series head would work well too. To my ear the Mesa PH cabs have more of a rock type voicing so any rock voiced head should match up nicely.

5. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    If you want a Mesa
    Subway D800, BigBlock750, M3/M6 carbine and the MPULSE 360 can all be found in that price range.

6. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    I will add Quilter Bass Block (800 or 802 depending on your preamp and input/output preference) to the list of consideration. If you want to stay under $600 it will have to be used or new and on sale.

Noting that I am with others on not recommending one without knowing more about what you want.

7. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Any of the Carbines (and do not overlook or underestimate the M3) will sound killer with that cab.

8. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021