1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Identification

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassrider, Mar 21, 2009.

1. bassrider

bassrider

May 9, 2006
    I have a double bass that dates back to at least the 1940's. It has no stamp, label or markings that tell me who made the bass. It does have some unique features that should help with identification. The f-hole is not completely cut out. It has a small bridge at the top and bottom. And the corners of the bouts are made differently than most basses. It has a wooden end pin and the bass is made of plywood. It also is very light in weight. The machine tuners are wood rods turned by brass gears. I have uploaded pictures but only 2 pic are allowed. I have a picture of the bass being played in an Orchestra Band headed by Jerry Gray. I'm greatful to anyone who could help identify the bass. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    you can make another post with 2 new pics, and a third post with 2 new pics etc.pp.

3. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    ^^ +1. And if you could get one of the whole back, front and sides that would be good too (and shots of the scroll). From what I can tell, I'd guess maybe it's an old German ply.

4. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
  5. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    i have never seen an german ply with that kind of f-holes

6. bassrider

bassrider

May 9, 2006
    Yes I could post a couple of more pictures but I don't think they would help identify the bass. It does have the typical German looking tuners and the back is not flat but made in the more modern style. It is not a King, Kay or American Standard. I'm very familiar with those basses. The most notable thing is the f-hole bridging. Thanks for the replies.