Bass Latency

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tomass, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    i was wondering if there such a thing on basses, like on my SR400 i play a note and it goes dmmm and then a few miliseconds later its like a Sub bomb, any reason for this? Also i have active pickups.
    Btw i only noticed this with the new rig that i got today, i couldnt recognise with the crappy combo i had
  2. kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    could it be you´re seriously overdriving the preamp? sometimes a surge of energy can annihilate a stage of the amp, causing aforementioned effects...
  3. Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    nah im not over driving it, if so it would sound bad. Like it might do it on the odd ocasion, its hard to describe. The battery is probaly going flat even though i havent had it that long, sometimes it will play a note and have a little burst as it sustains. Would this be a charastic of the Ibanez SR400, the older discontinued model i mean
  4. jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
  5. billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    The "new rig" seems to be a good place to start. What is it?Does it have a compressor or limiter, built in?
  6. foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    Try changing the battery.
  7. Elliott

Mar 20, 2000
    Just play a milliseconds ahead of the beat. That way, you will finish the song and be at the bar while the rest of the band is still playing the last chord.
  8. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    well, first of all, are your pickups stock? because then, your pcikups are passive, and you have an active eq.

jus to let ya know, cos i own one.

and i did notice an effect like yours with my better combo. well, i noticed a overall worse tone and zero to no low end..

you shuld b able to eq it better though.
  9. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    This is what I would do. :D
  10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Sounds like maybe you have some kind of noise compressor turned way too high.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Depends on the year. 2001 still used active pickups with an active preamp.
  12. Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    thanks for the replys, sorry i didnt respond back. It doesnt do it anymore thank god, the amp head that i got is a SWR WorkingPro 400 and yes it does have a limiter. The pickups are DX P and DX J pickups, which are stock. Also one more question would changing the pickups give it a warmer tone?
  13. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    dude u and i have EXACTLY the same setup...

working pro 400... ibanez sr400

and then i use an avatar 2 10 and 1 12. im pretty sure its the bass man.i ve done everything. this ibanez is SWEET for slap, and likeaggressive stuff. but it cant get funky or nice and smooth for its life.