1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Maintenance

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DejaFlow, Dec 22, 2011.

1. DejaFlow

DejaFlow

Dec 22, 2011
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum (all forums really) so thanks for having me. I'll start off by saying I've been playing the bass for a few years, but have been off for a two year stent due to be young and crazy. Anyways, regardless of that I've started playing again and just picked up a Ibanez GSR200 and an Epiphone Studio Bass 10s practice amp. Im having some issues with the tone though, when I turn it up Im getting alot of scratchy, buzz feedback. I know some is normal but its kind of overpowering. Also, my tone knob is loose, what should I do to fix it? Sorry if I posted in the wrong area btw.

2. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    What do you expect from a 10 watt
    guitar amp?

You need to get yourself a bass amp.

Those amps come with the cheap-o
    bass and guitar packages. I don't think
    they are even really bass amps.

You will find a 100 watt bass amp runs
    out of headroom real quick.

But, if you want a small amp that works
    better and at low cost, try an Acoustic
    B-20.

3. DejaFlow

DejaFlow

Dec 22, 2011
    Yeah I know :(. I understand that, I just grabbed whatever I could at the moment. I'm on a really tight budget, I have a nine month old baby girl and a wife lol, being that it is Christmas time and all... Id say within the next two months I'll have 200-500$ just for my amp set-up. Any idea's or sites you could link me to for the knob maintenance. Im a pretty smart and cautious person so I wouldnt do anything out of my grasp.

4. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    Try spraying some silicone on the tone knob shaft, and tighten up the nut on the tone knob too. good luck!

5. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    As mattygbass said, there is a hex nut under the knob, tighten that and I can attest to the Acoustic B-20 I have one and the power and tone from that little guy is big, that would be a good starting purchase.. Ya cant Gig with it but for hang around play and solo practice its a great little amp..

6. Welcome to the forums!