Bass octaver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sawn55, Feb 3, 2019.

1. sawn55

sawn55

Nov 4, 2018
    Hi guys, a few time ago someone give me a 'Sub n up' octaver pedal. The pedal sounds very good but I really don't know when to use it. Do you have a pedal with this effect? In what songs do you use it? :bassist:
    Thanks

2. I use a Boss OC-3. I originally bought it to cover B string parts when I decided to switch back to a 4 string. And for that it does the trick, since I had always used those notes very situationally even when I was maining a 5 string. However, I'm quickly finding all sorts of fun uses that I never thought of before buying it. Guitar solos are a great spot to use it for example. We cover ska songs sometimes, and the walking bass parts can sound annoyingly normal, so I play them up an octave and turn on the OC-3. Instant video game boss fight style cover!

3. My favorite octave down pedal is the Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer. Great pedal! High and low filters help sculpt the sound. Sub switch gives a nice grrr sound when needed.

You’ll love it. It’s a way of life.

4. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I use my octave pedal when playing funk tunes or when I want to emulate a keyboard bass part. You'll also hear it in songs like "Billy Jean".

You can combine it with other effects such as an overdrive to add bottom back in. Octaves also pair well with a chorus.