1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass on David Bowie's Ashes to Ashes

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rich n, Jan 18, 2012.

1. rich n

rich n

Jan 16, 2012
    What are some of your thoughts of this bass performance?...For me, I like the song a lot and the bass plays a big part as to why

2. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
    Great song from one of my favorite Bowie albums. I remember seeing Nine Inch Nails opening for Bowie. They did Scary Monsters and throughout the song, Bowie's band took over the instruments until it was all Bowie's band and then Bowie comes out and finishes the song as Trent leaves the stage. Coolest transition I've ever seen. Then all of the kids who came to see NINs filed out and the handful of oldtimers that came to see Bowie had pretty much a private show.

The bass line is part of the texture of the song and fits in well.

3. gleventhal

gleventhal

Nov 30, 2011
    This is a great song, I believe about Bowie's struggle with Cocaine use/addiction.. It has a very interesting quirky groove, and it my favorite Bowie song, and was my favorite song altogether a while back. I think this is a great example of musical slap bass, as opposed to slap wanking. Also the wobbly piano sound makes for a cool effect, along with the quirky vocals. Great chord changes too.

4. LOVE this tune, agreed on *tasteful/musical* use of slap. Must listen now...

5. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I especially love the multi-measure isorhythm that goes through the outtro, where the melody he sings during "My mother said to get things done you better not mess with Major Tom" keeps changing ever-so-slightly, like two pieces of a huge and slowly rotating Calder mobile.

6. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    +1
    Then I listened to the Tears for Fears rendition, pretty faithful.

7. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Top tune, unmistakable bass track, very 'on it' and effective, George Murray with a Stingray.

Many of the players/lines over Bowies career have been top notch.