1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Bass Painting"

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Dan Bozek, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Aug 3, 2011
    Outside Pittsburgh, PA
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    I happened upon my copy of Strange Little Girls today when my client knocked over a case of CDs at the studio. It is nice to rediscover that record every couple of years. At least for me, I find it pretty creatively inspiring.

Care to elaborate on "bass painting" when you have a minute? You make some whacky cool sounds on this recording!! Was "I'm Not In Love" and "Raining Blood" whole takes (like Tori is known for preferring in the studio) like the "band" songs? How if at all were you directed when playing like that? Seems like it was probably a fun and interesting session.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    All those sessions were live as a band, yes. Tori let me do what I wanted, she was always very gracious like that. Sometimes, like on those two songs you mentioned, I just did the whole melted, impressionistic bass f/x vibe. There's other stuff I've worked on with her that's much more like straight-up bass guitar, tho.

3. hey J, went back and listened to the said cuts. very creative approach.

4. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Aug 3, 2011
    Outside Pittsburgh, PA
    Cool. I need to have a sit down for a while and give that kind of playing a try. I've always been intrigued and inspired listening to "impressionistic" (that's a good word) playing.

And yeah, people. That whole record is a good listen. Heart Of Gold is a rhythm section throw down, and well... It is Matt Chamberlain, people. That should be listening recommendation enough in a bass forum!! Groove for DAYS. I'm not sure that I've ever heard him play anything that didn't make me want to plug in a bass and jump in.

5. i'll check the rest of it out too, thanks dan!

6. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    Great album, never new JMJ played bass on it - great job. One of the best presents I ever received was from one of my good friends when he gave me "Little Earthquakes". I immediately became a fan and admirer (if you catch my drift). Been a fan ever since.

7. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Aug 3, 2011
    Outside Pittsburgh, PA
    "From The Choirgirl Hotel" also. There are some seriously cool bass tracks/rhythm section moments on that one too.