Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass player influence history linking...(for fun, I guess)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Sep 20, 2003.

1. I was wondering........can you guys link some bassists to other bassists...the ones that are clearly influenced by another bassist that was clearly influenced by another bassist that was influenced ...and so on until..influenced by an innovator...get what I mean?

I just wanna see some opinions towards who was influenced by who and so on...

and honestly, I'm too nervous to set the example, but it'd be like a family tree linking or something like that....

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Everything began with Peter Tork.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    No Brad, youve got it all wrong.
    It was Al Gore.
    Just ask him, he'll tell you.

:D

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    While Algore did indeed invent the modern-day electric bass, Mr. Tork was da man.

Just ask Bootsy, Carol Kaye, Ralphe Armstrong, Mario Cippola, that guy from White Snake... all the greats agree.

5. I am who I am today because of Peter Tork.....

6. :D him and Leo are our daddies:D

man..that didn't sound right but blah

Tork pretty much puts this in a nutshell

7. I like to thing of Bill the Cat as the father of modern bass-playing

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Carol Kaye played all of Peter Tork's lines.

9. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I would say that from Peter Tork bass things evolved to Danny Partrige. Don't forget that Greg Brady was one of the most influential guitarists of the 70's. Nope, can't forget that guy.

10. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I'd bet Tommy Tedesco played all of Greg Brady's stuff :)

For guys that really didn't play a lot of bass, Tork and Partridge influenced a lot of people to pick up the instrument. FWIW, Peter is a sharp vocalist, guitarist, and pianist in real life. This can be seen at current Monkees shows or with his own band, Shoe Suede Blues.

I think a reasonable line of influence is James Jamerson > Anthony Jackson > Melvin Lee Davis.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  12. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Saturday's Child Rules!:D :D :D

13. darkjoker667

darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    jack bruce-geezer butler

that's all I got

14. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Allmusic.com has a tree of key electric bass players - can't say I particularly agree with it, but here you go:

Electric Bass Pioneers

Monk Montgomery (electric bass with Lionel Hampton in 1953)

|

Electric Bass Innovator

Jaco Pastorius

|

Key Electric Bassists

Stanley Clarke; Steve Swallow; Eberhard Weber; John Patitucci; Tyrone Brown (with Max Roach since 1984); Jamaaladeen Tacuma; Albert MacDowell; Alphonso Johnson; Mark Egan; Victor Bailey; Brian Bromberg; Marcus Miller; Gerald Veasley; Bill Laswell; Bob Cranshaw (with Sonny Rollins)

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I think in Metallica's Ride the Lightning, the credit Rush as an influence. Rush was heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin. From a JPJ website, his primary influences were: Charlie Mingus, Ray Brown, and Scott LeFaro. He said he didn't have any rock influences because you couldn't hear bass on rock records in the early sixties.

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    In the interviews with him that I have read, JPJ always' rates James Jamerson as a major influence as well. JPJ reckons that his success as a session player in the '60s was down to the fact that he was the only player on the scene able to take a chord sheet and quickly come up with a bassline that had that Jamerson-Motown feeling.

17. James Jamerson- Bernard Edwards- Stuart Zender?

Larry Graham- Stanley Clarke- Mark King?

18. Dondi

Dondi

May 3, 2003
    NYC
    Being the fountain of useless knowledge that I am, I recall that the credits on at least the "Monkees' Headquarters", album listed the great Joe Osborne on bass. (Check out the song, "You Just May be the One"; great bass riff)Its possible that Carol Kaye played on the first few Monkees' singles, but she's been found to have lots of questionable recollections on what sessions she played on in the 1960's.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have the Headquarters cd in my hands...these Monkees' re-issues have very extensive liner notes.
    Anyway, Chip Douglas(NOT the cat from My Three Sons) is the bassist on this record, though John London is credited with "The Girl I knew Somewhere" & "All Off Your Toys".
    IMO, tha bass' tone & 'feel' on this disc really smacks of McCartney.

Headquarters, the Monkess' 3rd album, was a rebellion of sorts against the production machine of Don Kirshner. On this album, the Monkees insisted on playing their own instruments.
    Gotta give 'em credit...they did the album in 3 months(considered a long time back then) & Mickey hadda learn how to play drums.
    ;)

Kaye may have played on the Kirshner material.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Back on topic-

Jimmy Blanton ----------> Everybody else who ever picked up either an URB or an electric bass.