1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Player Mags PDF

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Scopaz, Oct 21, 2008.

1. OK, so I have been thinking about doing this for years but do not want to take on the entire project myself. I know there has to be other guys out there that have every issue of Bass Player magazine like I do. Here is what I have been wanting to do.

I feel there is a wealth of knowledge in those magazines that I would like to have at a much easier level of access when instructing my students and referring to specific articles or what have you. Now since most of those are out of print and unavailable as back issues, it is impossible to get them any other way than to find a used copy.

So here is what I propose, well hypothetically. If there are other guys willing to help, we could each take a couple of years and scan them into PDF format and then swap. Since we [those involved] own all of the magazines anyway, we would not be infringing on any legal issues by swapping our archives with one another. Right? Any legal help here from someone?

Anyway, I would love to have 20 years of Bass Player in my computer, rather than taking up 6 feet of shelf space in my studio. And I mean everything, cover to back cover, ads and all.

So what do you guys think?
    Scott Pazera

2. Thanks for the link.

From a historical perspective, I would like actually PDF books of the magazines to see the changes in attitude, technique, hairstyles, etc... I think it would be an interesting look to see the 1988 Issues vs. the 2008 issues.

As I said, I have them all, just too lazy to do it all by myself.

3. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Hey Scott,

I know this thread is VERY old but I'm wondering if you ever got any offline response about this. I also have tons and tons of Bass Player issues starting with issue number 2. They are in crates taking up way too much space. I'd love to get them transferred to PDF format so I can donate them but I want to have them for reference for the great transcriptions, etc. I would be very happy to pitch in.

-Scot

4. Not much. Just afraid if too few of us put in all of the work, they will hit the torrent sites and spread like wildfire. Was kind of hoping Miller Freeman might think about copying what Modern Drummer did.

5. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Yeah, I hear you and thanks for the update. I've been thinking about just scanning the transcriptions/notation/instructional articles for myself but even that is quite a daunting task.

MarkJC8 likes this.
  6. Yeah. For me I like the historical angle of seeing all of the old ads too. Just for fun, but it will be a lot of work. I am working on one for Double Bassist right now. When I finish that, I may start on my Bass Player quest.

7. Hi there, I just came across your post, I've been doing some clean up in my studio and thought that I could order some old issues in PDF from their website, and, as you know it, they don't offer that option.
    I'm thinking that your idea is brilliant, and to me, the only way that it could work is if you get a team of a least 10 of us, and update ourselves weekly, (3 or 4 issues a week each seems like a good pace to start).
    I'm not a collector, in fact, I probably have only 50 of them or so, and they are not consecutive issues either, I've been collecting these for the last 14 yrs on and off.
    I'm all up for it if you want to do it this way, i think it would be hard to find people that have as many issues as you do, and willing to do this work, IMO, more people involved makes it faster and easier, even if we pitch in just a little, and I think it would be alright if we only share them with each other, as long as we don't post them, I'm not for uploading copyrighted material on the web.
    Let me know.

8. Thanks for the reply. We just need 8 more guys now.

It might be easier to try and convince Miller Freeman or whomever to make them available as PDFs too...

9. I'm on it..

.... Both plan A & B

10. So? :D

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I have thought about it as well. I have only missed a couple of issues since the first one. I am always surprised that they do not even have a master online index as it's hard to even find stuff over such a long period.

This would be a great project for Bass Player to do. I mean, they must have digital layouts for their magazines up to a certain point in their history, so getting a high quality PDF shouldn't be a problem for a good chunk of it (other than the labour associated with it).

12. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    If you archive that much data be sure to store it some place so it cannot be lost unless the planet explodes. I lost so much data when my hard drive failed...no recovery possible. I store everything backed up, on zip drives and on clouds in addition to multiple computers. Have the one click back up running. It really stinks to lose it all. Just sayin! Peace!

13. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    I've been wondering about pdf copies (which are probably technicallye illegal). For some reason all the back issues I used to have from about 15-20 years ago (including excellent interviews with Bill Laswell and Jonas Hellborg) have disappeared. I guess I must have binned them, though how or why I know not. A moment of madness!

14. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  15. Having dealt with this before my only thought is on the credits / Table of Contents page there will be a disclaimer that will read or contain something like:

"Use of material contained herein may not be copied, transmitted, scanned or stored on electronic media".

I would love to have some back issues for rainy days. But if anything were to find it's way to the wrong people, it could come back to you in a bad way.

I do know that the current editor in chief of Bass Player has been on the forum recently in Tom Wictor's 'Interviewing Bassist Stories' thread, so you could try to get a blessing from him?

16. Thanks Roy.

To everyone else. I am glad to see this thread and I idea resurrected. As of late, it seems more to me that it would need to be done on a personal and private level. Which unfortunately means that we would each have a lot of work to do. If there are any developments I will be sure to post them here.

17. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    I'm still interested in pitching in. I have boxes full of BP mags starting from issue #2. I did miss a few years in the 2000's.

18. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA