1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass problem...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Negative1, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Negative1

Negative1

Aug 8, 2012
    Hey everyone, I have bought a Cort EVL-Z4B bass 8 months ago and until now it was a very good bass, but there's a problem for me, the strings touch the frets and when I play an open note like an A or D it doesn't make the soun of the note, it sounds like I'm hitting the bass... I have no idea why it's happening and I can't touch the bridge since I don't have the tool that it needs. It would be very grateful from you to help me thanks.

2. AccolaStudios

AccolaStudios

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    You need to raise the action at the bridge. You can buy a cheap set of allen/hex wrenches for $5-7 at a local hardware store.

3. Negative1

Negative1

Aug 8, 2012
    Aha, thank you.

4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yep - it is a combination of the neck relief (truss rod ) and bridge saddle height settings. Both need to be set properly for good action without buzzing. Your setup can change over time, and with different strings, so it is good to be able to do this yourself.

5. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    sounds like a general setup issue, so I've moved to Hardware, Setup, and Repair