Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass purchasing question........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PTBassMan, Jul 4, 2005.

1. PTBassMan

PTBassMan

May 11, 2005
    Barberton, OH
    Hope this is the corrrect group. Local pawn shop has a Fender Precision bass in good shape for $175.00. Is this a good deal? What should I look for? Thanks

2. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Yea, Most of them are about 300-400 dollars. Make sure all the knobs work... and check out if there are any dings on it. Sounds good though!

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll buy just about any Fender, regardless of model and age, if it's under the $200 mark and works. I say go for it!

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I say be careful.

That's a good price for an American, Japanese or Mexican Fender, but not for a Squire...its also an awful price if there's something wrong with the neck, etc.

5. PTBassMan

PTBassMan

May 11, 2005
    Barberton, OH
    As am still fairly new the bass buying thing, how do you tell the difference between the above mentioned?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    On Fenders, it will say Squier somewhere on the headstock if it's a Squier. May say Squier large or small as in Squier Series. These are entry level basses and this is a high price for a Squier.

Mexican serial numbers start with M (on the headstock)

Japanese Fenders have Crafted in Japan or Made in Japan printed on the base of the neck right next to the body.

American Fenders say Made in USA.

7. +1

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If it was an American I'd be in there faster than lightning, hey even a MIJ/MIM is well worth investigating at that price. Just be wary of faults on it, check it over well.

9. PTBassMan

PTBassMan

May 11, 2005
    Barberton, OH
    Well.........I bought it. Got it for 150.00. Even came with a hard case. It was made in Mexico. I had to adjust the strut rod, clean it up, change the strings. WOW, does it look good no....and PLAYS good. Thanks for everyones help, it really counted.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Good deal!

Enjoy your new 'steal'

:)

11. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Bah. I wish they sold stuff like that around here...

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1

I wish i had some reliable (if thats possible) pawn shops around here. I know if i went to NYC there would be though.

13. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Congrats, now we need pictures.

14. PTBassMan

PTBassMan

May 11, 2005
    Barberton, OH
    Well, here goes. Hope the pics get there. Never posted pics to forum before. Let me know what you all think. Bass even came with a hard case!

Attached Files:

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks good man, enjoy.

16. PTBassMan

PTBassMan

May 11, 2005
    Barberton, OH
    Played it tonight at band practice. The sound is just totally incredible. Makes all the difference in the world!!

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id mod the poop outta that ;)

18. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Great score man!

One question though.......I may be losing my mind but where are volume and tone controls? I am guessing that the knobs are white and it is just hard to see in the picture......

Once again.....Congrats! Even the case looks pretty sweet!

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont see them either

20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Newbies can be so cute at times. ;)