1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Repair in Boston

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by guitarbass, Feb 3, 2012.

1. guitarbass

guitarbass

Feb 3, 2012
    I just had the fingerboard replaced on my 1939 Kay M1 bass by Michael Hartery in Boston, along with a new bridge. My bass has always been special for a plywood instrument. It vibrates and has a warm tone. It's neck is typical for Kay -- narrow and with a thin fingerboard. A luthier had already added a graduated wedge under the fingerboard to raise the height of the bridge and improve the tone, but he only did the job part-way.

Michael improved the wedge, used a wonderful thick ebony fingerboard, and also flared the board just the right amount to add some needed width to the neck. The neck feels incredible now! He carved a fine bridge and set the bass up to maximize its sound. It's a totally different instrument now, with a deeper voice. It sounds great pizz, arco, and through an amp. It's like he turned my plywood bass into a very nice instument. He's totally maximized it!

2. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    Mike's an exceptional luthier, and a GREAT guy! I have nothing but the best of things to say about Dr. H! He's an exceptional luthier, and totally trust him in the DB/set-up dept!

3. Michael Hartery

Michael Hartery Guest

Mar 13, 2018
    I no longer work on basses.
    Thanks.

4. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ Emeritus (Certified Gear Junkie) Retired???

If you need a bass luthier in the Boston area look up Volker Nahrman. Great work.

Also has a Huge selection of basses.