1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass shim size

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Adam York, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:55 AM.

1. Adam York

Adam York

Nov 24, 2017
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to adjust the neck on my bass cause the action is way too high. I've got the neck straightened out but the action is still really high at the 12th frets and up. It's got a stationary rosewood bridge so I can't adjust it there so I plan on shimming it. My question is, how do I know what size shim to get? StewMac offers a few different sizes but if I can avoid finding out by trial and error I'd prefer it. Any suggestions?

2. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Just use a piece of business card, 1/2 inch wide. Try, and add another if it needs more. If you take you bass to an expensive shop, they will use business card as well, it's pretty much standard among repair folks.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    This

96tbird likes this.
  4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

That. Having agreed with “this” and “that”, yo want a shim about .01” thick at the fat end.

Stewmac shims are pretty steep but it’s your money.

You could use the business card method first and measure the angles and order the right shim if you really want to use one.

5. Adam York

Adam York

Nov 24, 2017
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks everyone!

6. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Stationary rosewood bridge? More info/pics.