1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass soloing..do you or do you not?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Demon_Hunter, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    I may be in a minority when it comes to this, but my feelings on bass soloing, when it comes to me, is that I don't want to solo. I would rather sit back and play a funky groove or something that just rocks with the drums.
    We are playing a new song in the church band and there's a bass solo in the original recording that the worship leader wants me to play. I said I'll play something but I won't solo. I never have been comfortable doing a solo and really have no desire to solo.

Anybody else feel this way?

2. Most of my music is purely solo bass.

3. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I have the same feeling, mostly because I'm asked to solo so infrequently that I never really learned HOW to do it.

Unless your Wooten or work at it every day and are good at it, who wants to hear it anyway?

That's what gui****s are for!

4. Geeze, take some pride in your instrument.

5. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    No biggie. Just keep laying down your groove and throw a few extra notes into it. Move up into another octave and back down again. Keep it funky. Mix up the rhythms a little. It can be repetitive. You don't have to play like a jazz genius.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This is true of most bass players - but it's not an excuse to not learn it. Want to guess where the "bass is easy" mentality comes from?

Lots of people -like the OP's bandleader, for one. Again, what's wrong with working on it?

All musicians should be able to blow. Like Marcus says "You should be able to blow the baddest solo, and lay down the fattest groove - who says you get to choose?"

7. I don't take planned solos very often, but occasionally if I'm really feeling it sometimes with my jam band or on a jazz gig I'll step up and take a completely improvised solo. Inevitably all the guys in the band ask me to take more solos and I always decline. I just tell them if I'm feeling it, I'll let you know and take one. Best one was in the middle of a funk jam based around Thank You (4lettinbemicelf) and Give Up the Funk. Accompanied for about 5 minutes and then everybody but the drummer just looked at each other and stopped and let me go off for another 5 minutes or so. Another cool one was a fretless solo I took while playing Scofield's Go-Go one night. Complete opposite of the funk solo, very melodic, lots of sliding harmonics, etc... The only planned solos I do are in church - comping Abraham Laboriel's solo on Ancient of Days - or trying to anyway, or the bass intro to Israel and New Breed's version of Awesome God, that sort of thing.

Just do it. It will be good for your growth as a musician.

8. christmetal

christmetal

Aug 21, 2008
    i dont really know
    im kind of on both sides
    if i were goign to solo i wouldnt want guitarist playing with me
    all my solos are just bass or bass and drums
    but there is a difference between soloing and adding some fills
    i love adding little fills and improvising
    its so much fun

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't solo much at all! It also depends on the song. I like to pick my own spots rather than the band leader just call me out at random! I gotta be feelin' the song and really into it!

10. I used to dislike soloing, too in the past and it was because, like you said, I never had to and never really got a feel for doing it. Then I started playing in more jazz and blues combos where everyone has to do some soloing, just because there aren't many players to begin with. That way it mixes it up and keep it interesting. The more I did it, the more comfortable I became with it. I'm not one to really sit with all my scales and modes, etc, day after day. I just play what I feel depending on the song and it works well for me. If you've got a good grasp of your instrument, then the idea is to be able to "sing" through your bass what your mind and your soul are relaying to you. We did a cover of "Riviera Paradise" the other night and I took a solo and it felt REAL good! Great bass, good settings on the amp and new strings all inspired me to just flow for two choruses! Wish I had a recording of it. Oh well. It will happen again; I'm sure of it.

You don't have to solo; but if you get into it, you'll open a door to expression that will allow you to open your heart to the music in a whole new way.

11. steve21

steve21 Banned

too much.

12. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That's a great line.
    I'm not there yet, by a long shot. I've always been a "groove first" player, still am.
    But I'm currently in a band where I'm encouraged to solo a few times a night, playing fretless.
    It's really pushing me, and I'm really enjoying it.

13. If the drummer is laying down a sick groove and you just get that feeling to let go and let it all hang out, man go for it, improv-solos have been some of my best shows as a bassist. :bassist:

14. Depends on the music style.. Drum and bass is one of my favorites types of things to do..and not just soloing over a guitar(s) and a drummer..get creative..show the audience what you are made of in the pocket..and what you can really do by throwing in a solo here and there..but don't over do it! lol

15. No.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't. Our current set list is not that conducive to it. I have before when we want to 'roll' the song and keep the groove going (Brown-Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, etc...) or if the drummer needs a beer.

16. and my drummer,
    we'r ebest friends, and we've always clicked musically.
    So, Drum and Bass Grooves with a simple guitar or vocal overlay is soem of the best stuff my band does.
    A good funky groove with a pocketed drum beat always makes my day.

17. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    y'know, it's funny because I used to play jazz and funk back in college and played solos regularly. anymore, I tend to find solos boring and contrived.

Then again I don't quite fit into TB because I only play bass about 1/3 of the time in my band. Seems like lately my solos are usually done with things like feedback loops or live sample manipulations and such... bass solos just sound sort of cliche to me.

(not knockin' it, just my current mindframe)

18. Completely understandable.
    Thats sad that you only play like 1/3 the time with your band,
    you should really kick it into gear for some of them!

19. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    lol, I think you misunderstand me. I'm a multi-instrumentalist. I play bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, keys, feedback loops, samplers, noise generators, drums, and do some vocals in my band. Only a 1/3 of the time (that might be too high a number actually) am I playing a bass guitar.

20. OH!
    Gotcha.

Makes more sense now.
    I was kinda wondering about that.
    I do the same thing, but most of my stuff is on bass.
    The other stuff I play is about 1/3 for me.