1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass stand, small stage, stool?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by PB+J, Nov 23, 2018.

1. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Me: six foot four
    Bass: 7/8 shen willow
    Gig: regular gig at a great wine bar with appreciative audience but small space.

I’ve always been a standing player. I like standing. I also use an angled endpin. The shen bass has been my faithful companion for 15 years. It’s a big bass, though, and at this regular gig and a lot of other gigs there’s no place to set it down, and the angled endpin means it can’t be leaned into a corner easily, and also there are no available corners.

At home the bass lives on a Hercules stand and a year for so ago I started taking the stand with me to the gig. No endpin, just bass on the stand. It works well and the band mates are happy, but it’s too low by three inches or so. I’m getting fed up with the low height.

There is no stand that will put the bass at the right standing height, as far as I know. So ‘m thinking “what about that kc strings stool/stand?”

Two problems suggests themselves

1. Never been a seated player in my life. I’m not as young as I used to be though and sitting down is looking better. Old dog, new trick?
    2. It’s got no adjustability: what are the odds that it will hold myself and the bass at the right height? Slim, i’m thinking

Anybody have any experience with this kind of problem? Thank you

2. Engles stand

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Ingles. Had one. No good. If the legs are high enough to put the bass at the right height the back pieces too short. Also it bent under the weight of the bass. Ok for a cello or a small 3/4, won’t work for me

4. Oh, ok just a suggestion, I use the stand just to hold my bass on a tight stage I always stand when I play but I take it off the stand

5. Also I didn’t put into consideration 7/8 and your height. I use the stand merely to save space

6. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va

Thank you yes i use the stand the same way, it’s just not tall enough

Vinny Vincenzo likes this.
  7. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Is the end pin easily removable? That would give you the ability to stand the bass in a corner.

I sometimes remove my straight end pin to make it more stable in a corner.

Even when I lay my bass on its side on the stage when not playing, I generally remove the end pin so no one walks into it.

8. The older (discontinued) K&M stand (chrome with a cup, not the black one with the triangle) might work, but I'm not sure if you can put it high enough.
    The Hercules is much safer playing the bass in it than the K&M can be, but it might work.

9. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Can you devise something to raise the Hercules to the height you need?

10. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Sounds to me like the angled endpin is the issue. May have to compromise on that in order to find a convenient stand to use.

I love my new-model K&M double bass stand and can even play with my bass in this stand, but it does require a straight endpin. I'm pretty sure it would work for your 7/8 Shen. Once it is in the stand, you probably would not feel the difference with a straight endpin.

I've learned to play both standing and sitting, and often do both over the time span of a normal gig. The adjustment is smooth once you get used to it. Lower back issues are my motivation.

I use one of these fully adjustable height chairs from Vestil:

CPRO-800LP_A. CPRO-800LP_C. CPRO-800LP_D.

They're a little heavy and awkward to carry, and the small seat hurts my bony posterior after an hour or so, which means I have to stand up at some point (which is actually good for my back). But the adjustable height is extremely helpful for playing double bass and a variety of other instruments so to me it is worth the other shortcomings. No chair/stool is perfect.

11. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I'm adding another vote for the K&M.