Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass synth effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funkonaut, May 12, 2005.

1. Funkonaut

Funkonaut

May 12, 2005
    Hi,

I was wondering if someone can recommend me the best, stable bass synthesizer effect for the bass that money can buy these days.
    I'm really into P-funk, so I'd like an effect that can also emulate Moog sounds and synths/stuff like that.

Thanks! :hyper:

2. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    There are a bajizillion threads on the topic that offer many opinions and mucho information, muchacho.

Execute el searcho!

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    ...so "ya want's ta get funked up", eh?

Check out a Moogerfooger for the Moog type of sounds, although I play quite a bit of funk and have had fantastic success with my BOSS VF-1. I have 200 preset and 200 customized tones that are all tweakable...I find that I can generate most any sound I'm looking for with the proper amount of time spent.

There are a lot of threads based on this. Also check out Harmony Central reviews

5. I read about the moog. What's a good budget one? I am just looking to play 80's synth pop covers, e.g., Depesche Mode, NIN, The The, Pet Shop Boys etc.

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
  7. Well I figure it was still just a digital IC chip with a fancy, "analogue-looking" casing. But if this is THE one, then I guess I should give it a shot or look for a used one. Have you used it?

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not this unit, but I have used Moog units before...really nice stuff, especially if you're into "vintage" stuff from like the 70's...everyone used Moogs back then!!

9. Well, I would have no problem paying $300 if it used point to point, hard wired analogue circuits and stuff. But I doubt that they still do that. I want to check one anyway. But I don't want Bootsy sound or anything, just want it to sound like an 80s synth with the ability to get a little saw tooth waveform.

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I believe this'll do the trick...while you're out shopping, for the same $ (maybe a little less) you can cruise eBay and check out a BOSS VF-1.

I got mine in absolutely mint condition (including warranty card!) for $255 and it's got all that & more. Not just bass effects and chromatic tuner, I can get keyboard effects, acoustic AND lead guitar effects...even a vocorder!!(like that sound on "Show me the Way, or any of Roger/Zapp tunes)

Well worth the money!!!

11. Sounds like it. Thanks.