Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Test Day!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, May 11, 2005.

1. Okay, I'm a senior in high school and me and my girl and some buddies are planning two trips to Guitar Center, and Sam Ash this summer... Some people come to Florida, and I hate them for it, but I choose to go bass shopping! Hey, I plan to make a day of each and spend the whole day in the store! lol. Okay, anyway, I made a list of basses I need to play, and I want you guys to fill in anything that you think i should get my grubby lil paws on.

Test List:

Washburn Force 5 & T25
    Ibanez BTB & SRX 505
    Dean Sledgehammer & Q6
    Warwick Corvette, Thumb5, & Streamer Stage II
    Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
    MusicMan Stingray/Sterling & compare to SUB series
    Gibson thunderbird
    Line 6 Variax 700
    Specter basses
    Schecter California Custom & Elite 5

I actually plan on playing as many as possible, I actually am looking into buying the T25, Cali Custom, or an Ibanez. The others I would love to just play and see how much I like em... That is, if the employees will actually put a Warwick in my hands, doubt it for some reason... Anyways, Do any of you think I have forgot something? Based on my list, suggest me some more basses, Thanks, any feedback appreciated...

...PS Im looking to buy my girlfriend a NEW active 4 string bass for her first, any suggestions????

Thanks,
    Ryan.

2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU WANT TO SPEND?

3. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    For the girlfriend, I'll throw out the Ibanez GSR200. Not sure if you're going out with man-hands or something, but it has a relatively small neck that might be comfortable for her. Costs about $200, but I don't know your budget so it may or may not apply.

4. Bass-wise, I'm looking under 500...

...Okay, no "man-hands" also, I'm going to skip the GSR200... I want active, and Ive played ibanez's lower end basses, I hate em. Sorry, but Id rather second hand her my peavey.

5. If you want some mushu for that night and all the nights to come, Get her a Specter ;)

6. Bassmanbob

Hey! I just thought of the basses shown in Bass Player mag 1-2 years ago. I think they were called Daisy Basses or something like that. It was a P Bass type of pick up set up with a body shaped like a daisy flower and another body shaped like a heart. The scale length was shorter than 34", although I don't remember the specific scale length. I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct info. I think the street price was about $350- $400.

It sounds kind of corny, but the guys at Bass Player mag said that they got more attention at the office than most other gear that shows up there. They said that they played fairly well too. I actually thought about getting one for my kids (I have two girls) to knock around with or for me to play as well.

7. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Check out a Bongo! voice of god :oops:

8. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Daisy Rock Guitars

9. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    +1 The Spector Lengend series are quite affordable... sexy too! :smug:

10. Bassmanbob

Thanks for the link to the Daisy Rock Guitars. I really get a kick out of those (even for myself). I really like the red Heartbreaker bass and the Monarch Butterfly bass.

11. I definately think Ill look for a Spector Lenged series bass for her...

As for the daisy rock... Always good for a laugh, and good for a "Whoa, I didnt know that they had Duncans in 'em!" lol, always suprises my buds when I tell 'em that.

Any other ideas for my girlfriend? She has pretty petite figure (108lbs) very small pretty much. She like the "bigger bodies" like a Stringray shape, or my Peavey Millenium. I put her on a T24 from Washburn and she disliked the size of it... Go figure.

I will definately check out the MM lineup including the BONGO, even though to me, it looks like a semi-retarded stingray, lol. Im just kidding, dont kill me!

Thanks for the ideas, and by all means, keep the suggestions coming, Im getting ideas!!!

Oh yeah, one more thing, does pondering the purchase of a Specter make me a bad Warwick fan? Im a huge fan of the "W" and if I bought a Specter, would the Warwick comunity think any less of me? lol.

Thanks,
    Ryan.

12. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005
    If you go to Guitar Center, go to the new one WAY down South OBT. (South of the beeline). They have a (slightly) better selection. Or hit both. The one on N. 17-92 gets a lot of used stuff that's worth looking at, Like a couple Pedula's from time to time and the occasional Alembic.

I live in Port St. John man. I was at Sam Ash today looking for a newer case for my fretless J. The selection there gets worse by the day. Don't waste your time.

If you REALLY want to drool head up to Bass Central and play a MTD or Zon Fretless. Or Dingwall, Conklin, Warwick, Fodera... and on and on.

13. Dude, scarry, I live in Port St. John too... I go to Space Coast High School... Creeeeeeeepy...

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah. I was thinkin' Bass Central. I got word from Grasshopper today that they were shipping my whale blue flametop Dingwall ABI tomorrow. :D

If I were within a 10 hour drive I'd have gone there and picked it up.

Don't forget that they carry mid priced and cheaper stuff too.

15. Oh yeah... where 'bouts is Bass Central at?

And while you're at it, could you give me directions to Sam Ash, both Guitar Centers, and anywhere else I should go? Ive never been to anything outside of Goodwins, Noteworthy, and Strings and Things(Brevard FL, and Elida Ohio.)

Thanks,
    Ryan.

16. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005
    Sam Ash is on 50 in Orlando.

The Old guitar center. Take 50 in to Orlando and turn right on "Mills" that's 17-92. It's in a Huge shopping center on the right side just before you get to Lee Rd.
    The newer Guitar Center. Take the beeline to Orange Blossom Trail and head south. Keep looking on the right side. You'll see it eventually.

Bass Central... is somewhat hidden. Check out the map on thier site. Click Here
    The map sucks, I know. Here's the best way to describe it...

Take 50 into Orlando.
    Turn right on Semoron ( I think that's how it's spelled)
    Semoron is 436.
    Just keep on going man. It's a hell of a drive.
    Turn Left onto Oxford Rd. and it's in a small little shopping strip on the Left side.

Depending on how bad traffic is down Semeron it could take you about an hour and a half to get there.
    But it's well worth the drive.

and ya. Brevard sucks for music shops, till next year when they Build the new guitar center in Viera.
    Hit those four places and it's all you'll need. The two guitar centers and two Sam Ash's in Orlando have pretty much driven out anyone else that was worth anything.
    (there's another Sam Ash on Lee Rd.)
    Everyone else that's left is a lot like Strings N Things. Staying open just because they're bored old men with nothing better to do.

17. Bassmanbob

From Cocoa Beach, FL: Take 520 West to 50 West. Here's where I get fuzzy on the directions. Either find a road that will take you north to Red Bug Lake Road. Go west on Red Bug Lake Road to 436 and make a right on 436. OR 50 may take you right into 436. If it does, you may need to find another way anyway due to traffic. I think it's pretty heavy there, but not sure. You want to make a right on 436 (the sign may say west or north because it actually travels northwest). Make a left at 17/92 and stay in your left lane after you make the left. Turn left at Fernwood Blvd (I think it's your first left you can make). When you get to Oxford Road, go through the intersection and make a left into the parking lot. Bass Central is in the middle of the strip mall. Tell Grasshopper and the Beaver that Dr. Bob helped you with directions. They are always real busy in there, but they will be happy to help you. I would look at the MTD Kingston. It's a great bass for the money.

BTW: There is another guitar store on 17/92 at the corner of 1792 and Fernwood. It's either George's or Guitar Center. After entering Bass Central, you may never enter another music store again (unless you are going to buy a PA or effects).

18. Bassmanbob

I didn't know you could make a left on Oxford from 436. I always come from the other direction. I'm about 90 minutes south of you. It's faster to take the turnpike to I4 to Bass Central.

Have fun!

19. Just got through looking on Bass Central, and it's really pricey on there! I'm not sure I'll be making the trip soon, cuz that stuff is hella up there! Im looking in the 500 range, not the 2000 range, but thanks for the rec.

But, if and when I do go, I will tell them that Dr. bob helped me get there! lol, can i get a discount that way?! lol.

20. Bassmanbob

You never know. I think the MTD Kingston is in your price range. Remember that the List Price is not the price you pay or do I mean the Retail price? Anyway, most of the basses they sell are definely high end quality, but they have some pretty good used and a small selection of less expensive basses too. Just call and ask what the MTD Kingston costs.