1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass with the most piano-like sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Led Hendrix, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Led Hendrix

Led Hendrix

Feb 17, 2008
    So I found this video on youtube of John Entwistle playing from the DVD "The Kids Are Alright", except it's just him isolated. Me and my dad both agree that his sound is irregular from most bass sounds, and instead sounds more like a piano. Do you guys know what bass will give you this kind of sound? I'm looking in the "used" market and my budget is probably around 400-500 tops. I was also thinkin' that using these strings will help:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ular-Light-Long-Scale-Bass-Strings?sku=104382
    The description does say piano-like sound, so I'm going to trust them. :smug:

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Tons of treble and if it's the video I saw an Alembic.

Technique (light touch) and a killer bass. I guess the player is ok too.

3. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I know noone is going to believe this, but its true, you can get that sound out of a bc rich heritage classic mockingbird. everyone that checked mine out so far freaked out and that was the most common comment that it had that piano like sound to it.
    they are 600 dollars new, so a used one should be well within your budget

4. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Round wound strings -- Entwistle used Rotosound Swing Bass. I've found that two-pickup basses work best because they give you a better blend of front pickup to balance the extreme treble of the bridge pickup.

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    When i read this post the first thing that came to mind was Alembic (what John ususally played), but I don't think that you will see one for 500 bucks.

6. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    A Steinway.

(N.B. Didn't you figure out from the video what he was playing? I know he played a Firebird from time to time, but I have to admit I'm not an Entwhistle expert).

7. First thing that came to mind was alembic too.

8. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Piano like is a very common description of the type of tone that can be congered up by an Alembic. I would tend to agree. However, and as stated before, the player's technique is definitely a big factor too.

Bones

9. waterdog

waterdog

Nov 14, 2007
    Treasure coast
    +100 on the RotoSounds. Try 'em on somethin' you already own.....
    Jim

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    No chance.

11. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    RD ARTIST, I find rotosounds too trebley for the RD . I like roundwound Carvin strings. Fenderbird- roundwounds of coarse, Ken Smith lights

12. the taperwound E that comes on stock Am Std Fenders has that piano like clarity to it. I changed the strings because the E was too different from the other 3 strings :( but it did sound good though

13. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    the isolated bass from the "Kids are Alright" is John playing his Alembic Exploiter. You might want to look at something with active electronics and a treble eq but the amp you use is just as important for the Entwisle sound

14. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    US Spector neck-through with bright rounds. Sounds like a Steinway.

15. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I would imagine a 12-string probably sounds closest to a piano.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

I was just thinking that my Spector sounds like a piano with that amazing clarity and "bang", and it's a bolt on...perhaps even more condusive to piano tones!

17. i used to have a washburn bantam steinberger copy that sounded very piano-like.

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I hear nothing but good things about the tone of those bantam basses!

19. Yup, Rotosound RS-66 strings, they have very little bottom compared to most strings including most round wounds, they are mostly overtones which is what your hear from a piano. As long as you have a bass which can reproduce all the sounds out of these strings you should be OK, which I also agree two pickup basses. Rotos were designed for that sound specifically at Entwistle's request. The problem with them is that they die in about a month if you play a lot or play hard.

20. I was on musiciansfriend the other day checkin' out strings and someone had made a complaint about some strings makin' their bass sound like a piano. I can't think of the strings to save my life. Might be the ones others has listed here. Just can't remember...

Steve