1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses like sr300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoomingBass, Sep 13, 2010.

1. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    I'm looking to get a new bass and the ibanez sr300 seems like a great possibility. I was just wondering if there are other basses that I might like more. Another thing I was thinking about is getting a bass with the proper measurements for EMG humbuckers and i was thinking I could put the standard humbucker in the bridge and put one of their "p style in a hunmbucker casing" pickups in the neck position.

Advice appreciated

2. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    i would recommend it man. I owned its 5 string counterpart the sr305. It was a great bass with wonderful quality and a very versatile tone, but the pick ups are decent, it just depends. But if you were thinking of changing them out, it would be everything you could want it to be and more! =)

3. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    I just saw that they have an ATK300 on mf. Should I go with the ATK or SR?

4. cioppo

cioppo

Jun 15, 2010
    Prato, Italy
    I have an SR but if I have to choose, I choose ATK

5. If they are priced similar, I'd go with the ATK hands down. I own an older SR 506 and have probably played it about 20 hours within the last 6 years. The SR doesn't have any tonal variation and the string spacing is like a lice comb. ATK's have that bite and growl to them and always seem like a joy to pick up in comparison. :cool:

6. LiamR

LiamR

Aug 15, 2010
    ATKs appear to have a much greater variation in the sounds they spit out.

Then again, I haven't played them, so my opinion is pointless ;)

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I had an SR 300, and I found the Schecter Stiletto to be a nice upgrade when I got it. Played nicer, pickups sounded awesome, and looked a lot cooler than the Ibby - I had the natural finish like the one pictured.

STILETTO%20CUSTOM%204%20-%20NAT.jpg

Good basses for the price IMO. Every bit worth the extra money over the SR 300.

8. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    SR is awesome. ATK is awesome. Ive owned two of each.
    Very different neck though. Play both and see what your hands like.

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have an ATK and two SR800's, and the ATK gets my vote.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'd offer to sell you my Yamaha BB404 because it's pretty versatile, has good tone, and a comfortable neck, without the cramped string spacing of the SR, but alas, I can't offer it to sell it to you on the forum's or in the classifieds because I'm not a supporting member.

So I suppose the moral of my pointless story is try and find something used. There is much better quality out there in the same price range as the SR300 and ATK for the same price.

11. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    So I don't think I'll go with the ATK. It sounded too harsh for me. @Spinal Tapper or anybody else with an opinion on this, Would you say Schecters are all around better than Ibanez?

12. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    Also how are Thunderbirds and other Epiphones?

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021