1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses with minimal knobs and switches.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZeroSymbolic, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  2. Screenshot_20181209-085828_Chrome.

3. Any passive bass can be wired straight to the jack and have the tone knobs removed. Don't limit yourself, find what you like and make it your own.

I've got a bass wired like this, no on/off switch, no volume or tone.

Or:

_c19593_image_0. Mark Hoppus sig

RissKippery likes this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Yeah, back in 1982 I had an S.D.Curlee with the DiMarzio Model One pickup wired straight to the jack:
    SDCurlee.
    (note strategic use of pennies to cover the holes left from the removed potentiometers. Increased the resale value of the bass by $0.03!)

tbh though, I prefer having at least a volume control, and all of my basses nowadays sport full compliment of controls.

BassmanM, FingerDub, radbass and 7 others like this.
  5. Shecter kit from the early ‘80’s with a Fender fretless ‘71 P neck. Picture shown is probably my third modding session. Adding Joe Bardens.
    Wired stereo, two on/off/on switches, half volume/full volume switches.
    My main player.

4F6432C2-2D58-4AE9-B33B-C0ACC8F58711.

jaysbass2002, BassmanM, Gyver and 6 others like this.

6. I dig the use of pennies to cover the holes!

They make some kind of rubber plugs now to fill the holes but l don't know what they call them. Plugs?

dan1952 and jackn1202 like this.
  7. Reported for giving us the bird!....kidding.:smug:

8. Ah, that bass caught my eye when I googled imaged " bass no knobs". Nice to know the story on that one.

9. I looked too at the google.
    If you look at the picture, it usually has the source of the pic. I clicked on it it took me to a different TB thread...for the story too!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    5StringBlues likes this.
  10. sdcurlee-.

I think our photoshop friends might need to see this pic.

;)

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  11. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Anthony Jackson's Presentation Signature bass is made in that way.
    AJ. 058_bas0314_techbench-1.

Mili, rollie 55, DrayMiles and 6 others like this.
  12. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    A p-bass only has two knobs, but don't use them. The 'tone' knob is a decoration. The 'volume' knob should only be used if the bandleader is having a fit, and threatening to fire you.

13. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Warmoth all day. Easiest way to get a clean looking finished bass with no pot holes.

Well, there is the Fodera AJ presentation 2. I think that clocks in around $30k...

I love not having anything else to stumble over with this bass, but I could see the usefulness of a switch that activates a cap for some degree of tone darkening.

image.

14. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I play passive basses in general, and can live without a volume knob really.. I only use it to mute my signal when I don't use my pedalboard (then I use the tuner). And tone knob I use very occasionally, but find it useful when needed. So a kill switch and a tone knob would be the best. But then having a switch instead of a knob isn't anything less so a tone and a volume knob is already minimal imo.

dmt and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  15. ScottyDont

ScottyDont

Jan 19, 2012
    Joe Darts Signature Stingray is minimalist:

Mili and Frank77 like this.
  16. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I wired the pickups of my first bass, a Framus Star Bass, to the jack socket, when the pots failed.

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Most of my basses have no switches or pots at all with a single pickup wired directly to the output socket.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    rollie 55 likes this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Never heard a bass of any flavor where I much cared for the tone if it had its pickup(s) wired directly to the jack. That raw coil sound just strikes me as harsh and one dimensional.

But maybe that’s just me.

19. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    IIRC, Carvin's Timothy B. Schmidt signature model only had a volume knob.