Basses with onboard effects

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, May 29, 2004.

1. The title kinda explains what i'm looking for, but i am wondering if anyone has ever seen or made basses with onboard effects. I konw danelectro has the rumor bass with onboard chorus, they also made a guitar with three effects on it, but i don't rembember the name....anyways, i am just wondering if anyone has seen any other basses with onboard effects.
    i got the idea when i was reading tecx's thread about his SaS pedals...specifically the dirty soap passive overdrive. It doesn't need any power source (correct if i'm wrong) so there shouldn't be much extra routing or cutting, especially if it's on a bass with a pickguard (like an essex jazz bass if i were to do something like this myself)

2. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. The T.M. Stevens signature bass by Cort has a built in funk-wah effect.
  5. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Peavey or someone make a MIDI bass guitar many years ago? I don't think it sold very well. But, I'm sure I've heard about bass guitars with built in MIDI effects somewhere along the line.

But memory is fallible and I could very well be talking out my @$$.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    instruments with built in midi, like the peavey you're talking about, usually tend to have the capability to play synthesizers and not have effects built in, like distortion or reverb.

chris squire of yes has a bass that has a built in flanger that he played on the drama album.
  7. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
  8. I beleive Electra made a bass with their MPC onboard modules about 20 years ago. Their Les Paul copies from the same era are going through the roof in price, but their basses still have been reasonable on Ebay, and their quality was very good for an import.

Check this website out for a history of Electra.
  9. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    :eek: ... That thing is... amazing :(. How much do they go for? I bet that thing has tone out the bootay. Mmmm... that through an SVT stack. Wow. That'd be a lot of tubes. ARGH. You gave me GAS.
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. we play that song at the end of our set (if it's the one i'm thinking of) :)