Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist With Willie Nelson & Cheryl Crowe?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Mar 8, 2004.

1. I caught a re run of the MTV Crossroads show with Willie and Cheryl Crowe recently. The bass player was an older fella' with a long grey beard, similar to beards worn by ZZ Top. I was impressed. Most bass players with country style artists seem to be instructed to keep the beat, "Don't do anything that will call attention to yourself, and stand way back in the back!" This one did some out of the ordinary (for country bassists) runs. I am interested in who he might be. But once again as in all TV programs....if the camera gets away from the singer, it always goes to the lead guitar player, never let's us see what the bass player is doing.

On the other hand I was watching an A&E presentation "Live By Request With Kenny Chesney" this weekend, and the bass player did get some time on camera. Nice to see for a change.

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Been awhile since I saw that program, but I'll venture out on a limb and say that maybe it could have been Lee Sklar?

3. Just found a photo of Lee on the Net. That most certainly had to be him, as with his unique looks a twin or double would be a scarce as guitarists that used to be bass players. :bassist:

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    That's Lee Sklar.
    One of my Fav's.
    great player.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If it was Sklar-
    ...Sklar was one of the original Fusioneers of electric bass; he played bass on Billy Cobham's Spectrum, an essential Fusion record.
    Sklar is often labeled as a "folkie" from his gigs with James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, etc

6. leishan

leishan

Aug 11, 2002
    Medina, TN
    Doesn't Sklar do a ton a session work with Country and Contemporary Christian artists?

Just wondering.....

7. He played on a 1973 album by Kris Kristofferson & Rita Coolidge "FULL MOON" (I believe Kris and Rita were married at the time) His playing on that album made a fan of me way back when.