Bassists are lazy.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mbelue, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Yes, I don't really want to play bass.

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. No, I am a bassist and I can handle it.

27 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    This reputation that we have as lazy irks me a bit.
    Still every day I read a new thread here and believe it's true.

No body wants to carry anything. Even though cabinets are featherweight now.

We have to goto extraordinary measures to leave our cabinets somewhere.

We want to drive impossibly small cars and complain when our teensy 1x8 15w combo isn't loud enough.

We want to play bass but anything approaching a callous is anathema.

A 10lb bass is too heavy, but have to have an XL scale.

To me all this means:you don't want to play bass.

If you do want to play bass:
    Carry your own poopie.
    Carry enough poopie to get the job done. If the poopie you brought didn't get the job done:its your fault. Stop blaming other people.
    Carry your poopie from some place you are responsible for to wherever you are playing. Then carry your poopie back when you are done.
    Live in a house/apartment where you can store your poopie.
    If your spouse won't let you keep your poopie at home, get a new spouse. Or a storage unit. Deal with the problem on your own. Your poopie is your problem.
    Drive a car that will hold you and your poopie. Expect to have to do so. Public transportation is not how construction workers transport their equipment. They have trucks for that, so should you.
    There is nothing wrong with asking for "a hand" to move your poopie, when you need it. This should not be every time, if it is: get a cart. Your poopie is not the responsibility of the drummer, so stop asking them every time. They still have 6 cymbols to hang( even if you are rehersing at their place and made the schedule themselves).
    Stop comparing what you do or play to the guitarist. You don't play a guitar, why do you think you should be using the same poopie? You play bass, your poopie will be bigger. If you don't like it, stop what you are doing and become a guitarist. That is how you make things "fair".

You have to have some sort of callous or hand toughness to play bass. Stop complaining and practice your scales. By the time you know your scales your hands will stop hurting.

10lbs it's too much? Buy a different bass. Try a different scale. Who cares what bass The Ox played? Get something you can work with. There are lightweight options in every price range.
    These are not excuses for laziness.

Stop being lazy.

2. This poopie will go over really well here on the DB side.

ImNotJoel, Marial and mbelue like this.
  3. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    That's the funniest part.

Oops. Reported. Hopefully a mod can help me move it.

5StringBlues likes this.
  4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Are you poo-poohing bass players?

Marial and mbelue like this.
  5. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Speak for yourself. I've been in a band with a rhythm guitarist/ lead singer who fit your profile to a T.

mbelue likes this.
  6. Whenever I go anywhere I pick up after myself with a poopy bag....

mbelue likes this.
  7. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Right shagin' on.

mbelue likes this.
  8. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    sometimes smart looks like lazy. I got rid of my monster rig and got a 500w combo that is plenty loud for any situation. If I need more, I have a cable that will run to the FOH.
    I have plenty of room to store all my gear, including the PA.
    I have a pickup truck to carry it in.
    My hands are fine and I know my scales.
    10 lbs is not a problem, but I prefer my lighter instruments.

Fun Size Nick and mbelue like this.
  9. artschool

artschool

Nov 22, 2015
    i just bought a 500watt poopie

mbelue likes this.
  10. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    I... Can't .... Summon... The strength to .... Reply...ahhhh..(thud)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    /\/\3phist0 and mbelue like this.
  11. I'm lazy and I know it. I think a lot of bassists are - and a lot of them make up for it via sheer talent :D

May the poopie be with you.

96tbird, 5StringBlues and mbelue like this.
  12. El Güero

El Güero Inactive

Oct 5, 2015
    TL;DR

twinjet, GeneralElectric and mbelue like this.
  13. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Smart is not the enemy. You sound like someone who wants to be a bassist.
    You embraced solutions to your problems.
    I encourage you to vote for Option 2.

14. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Already did that.
    Smart is your friend. It helps you resolve problems.
    I also have 50 years experience to work with.

Immigrant and mbelue like this.
  15. slobake

slobake resident ... something

I usually play through an amp. No one has ever complained it sounds like poopie.

sneha1965 likes this.
  16. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    So Your Tone isn't The poopie?

slobake likes this.
  17. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I'm a real man. Real man type people don't do smart. We grunt and have hernias and then grunt some more. I drive a van. Only creepy people and plumbers drive vans. I'm not a plumber. Only a real man can stand up to the stigma. I haul mountains of gear in my van. I haul it myself. I haul the drummer's hardware. I eat raw meat that I caught myself. With a hammer. I'm a real bass player, not some kind of neo D class something or another. Go Cro Magnon or stay home. I poopie in the woods. Urghp.

18. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    It is somewhat disappointing that "poopie" wasn't capitalized.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    slobake likes this.
  19. I've never understood the bassist or drummer who only owns a compact car. I drove a mini van all through college. It required an explanation to all potential females that is was full of gear not child seats.

20. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Vans are sexy. Vans say: I'm a musician or an artist or a person who is so competent he or she hauls tools. That's sexy. I saw a young woman in very tight jeans get into a van very similar to mine and drive away recently. I was in love. Except that I'm already married, so I had to turn her down before even talking to her. Did I mention that vans are sexy?

My son learned to drive in my old van. His girlfriend's parents let her go place in it with him. I don't know why. The animal magnetism of a van is overwhelming.

96tbird likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022