Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassists on IRC

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jonas., Aug 15, 2005.

1. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    Bassists on IRC

I was on IRC earlier and it gave me a thought; why should us bassists have a channel of our own? So i made a basic guide to connecting to a channel so we can chat!

If you already know how to use IRC, go to "#bass" on Newnet, or use this browser friendly link, irc://irc.newnet.net/bass

Ok, now a quick guide.

1) download mIRC from www.mirc.com, use any mirror, preferably something closer to you (the file is pretty small, so it shouldn't take too long)

2) install IRC and start it up

3) fill in all details on the mIRC Options page, where it asks for a name, email address and nickname which can be found on the "Connect" Page" (Fake details can be entered here)

4) new click on "Servers" from the list, the bass channel is on IRC Network "Newnet", so make sure that is selected. You are now done here, so press OK.

5) a new box should come up asking for you to chose a channel; simply type "#bass" and click Join.

6) You've done it! (if you alone in the channel, assume you've gone wrong somewhere and ask for assistance)

In future, pasting the following link into a browser should take you directly to the channel. irc://irc.newnet.net/bass

(If you cannot find the options menu spoken of in steps 3 & 4, go to Tools > Options. If you cannot find the box spoken of in step 5, go to Favourites > Organise Favourites)

Finally: if you wish to change your name on the server type "/nick YOUR_DESIRED_NAME", if you wish to do an 'action' type "/me YOUR_DESIRED_ACTION"

This guide is pretty basic, and it should be easy to get onto chat if followed correctly, have fun and see you there!

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, we used to have a chat feature right here on TB, actually. It was a complete failure, which is why you don't see it now. Regardless, I'll be in the IRC room pretty much anytime I'm online.

-Ray

Edit: anyone who uses Opera 7.0 and above: it has a built in IRC client, so you don't even need to download anything, just copy/paste that link and it'll automatically open.

3. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    HEY I LOVE THAT CHANNEL MAN!

4. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005

we have about 15 people in most of the time

5. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    kk

6. oyvind2305

oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Norway
    chan is still alive and kicking.. :hyper:

7. RTT

RTT

Sep 16, 2005
    Wow... I tried it out and it is great.
    Not at all like this --> :crying:
    More like this -->:bassist: ALL THE TIME!

Yeah!

8. I was there. :smug:

9. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    I've been on IRC since forever. I was wondering why this has never been done. Even though chat was a failure, it was still fun when it got busy, but that was very rare.

10. oyvind2305

oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Norway
    well. we are 5-6 pepole that is in the cahnnel every day. We ask and give advice , lessons etc.. record and share clips etc.. We are not gearheads allthough gear is sometimes the topic, but not so often. And we have fun most importantly.
    Ages, maybe like 15- 45 so all welcome.

11. i'm on there!

12. oyvind2305

oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Norway
    bump for even more cool people

13. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    As noted in my sig, I 'run' #bassplayer on efnet. It's been up and running since about 99 or so. Not trying to steal anyones thunder, just a bit of FYI action.