bassline?! help!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by dembil, Aug 15, 2004.

1. dembil

Aug 15, 2004
    which notes can I use in transitions between chords and which while I rest on a chord and how can I use modes and scales?
    thanks a lot for any possible help!
  2. Your question is way to broad to answer with anything even remotely close to completeness. You'll get much better responses if you can formulate a more specific query.

Regardless, I try to point you in the right direction. I'd say that the most important thing is to use your ears. If you can transition from chord to chord well, which is possible without knowing a lick of theory, you'll have an easier time understanding what you're doing in theoretical terms. Second, don't worry about modes. Not at all. Don't even think about them. They are an extremely simple concept that gives a lot of people a lot of trouble. You'll get by fine without knowing about them. Get a little theory under your belt and they'll be an easy concept when you do go to learn them.

As for scales, do you know any yet? If you don't, learn the major scale before you attempt to learn how to appy it practically.

Basically, what you need is a book on beginning music theory. It will give you a gentle introduction to the complex mess which is theory, and you can come here when you need clarification on a specific concept.

EDIT: A simple and effective tactic for approching a new chord is to play a nearby note first. Going from a G chord to an A chord, for example, you might play the G# in between them and then play the A. Use your ears!