1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassman Ten Tube Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cement Factory, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Cement Factory

Cement Factory

Oct 20, 2010
    So, I'm looking to buy spare tubes for my Bassman Ten just so I have them. I didn't notice it when I bought it, but the person who originally owned this amp (combo unit) has two different tubes in it, they're not both the same. My model is dated 1977.

Facing the tubes from the back (looking straight at the back with it in front of you), the tube in the left slot is a GT-6L6-S. The one on the right is slightly smaller, a GT-6L6-B.

Is this a problem? Should I be buying both the same tube, was this done to give it a different sound (and isn't a problem), or is this just how you're supposed to buy them for the Bassman Ten?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That's a push/pull amp, the tubes should be in pairs. ie: you should have 2 tubes that are the same kind and matched to each other at least within 5% as far as current, output, etc. Something a tube tester or a tech can tell you.

3. Hi.

Just as will33 said, buy a matched pair.

Regards
    Sam

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Should note that you should put the new matched pair of tubes in and have the bias set for the new tubes. That's something you'd take it to a tech to have done but it's a simple, inexpensive thing for them to do. Kinda like getting a tuneup for your car....not having major work done.

5. You should get a matched pair of 6L6GC and have the bias set appropriately by a tech. There seems to have been a switch around the mid Seventies from a 50W output stage to a 75W. The latter is pushing the capabilities of the 6L6GC but Fender was renowned for doing that.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I actually had a Bassman10 years ago. I think it was around 70 watts or so but yes, 6L6GC's.