1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BB714BS: tell me about this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Camarillo, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Go for it!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No way!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Lately I'm gassing for this bass. Always been a fan of Sheehan, but that is not the reason.
    Of course I'm intrigued by the pickup configuration, which is unique. I like the boomy 60's kind of sound, I like to roll of the tone of my basses, I like flatwounds more than roundwounds. I own a Yamaha BB425x and I love the P style pickup and the neck (which I assume are very similar if not the same on the 714, in the 4 string version of course).
    The reviews I found are generically repeating the brief description on the yamaha website. YouTube videos are not so satisfying, even the ones with Billy in person. Add that the bass is not easy to find new here in Italy (I should order it online or go in a shop in another city to test it), and impossible to find used.
    I know it is a somehow "particular" instrument, not so lucky on the market I guess, but I was asking the reason why I can't find one used. Maybe they sold very few. Maybe the few players that has it, keep it. Who knows? So owners or former owners of this bass, please give me a good reason to buy these bass, or not to. Thanks