Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE MaxCom mini review...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, May 9, 2005.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Picked up a like new (not a scratch on it - still even smelled new) BBE MaxCom compressor last week for $125.00. I swear by compressors and I've owned two DBXs (262, which i still own, and a 266XL, which I recently sold to a TBer), and an ART, which ultimately died a while back.

Anywho, the MaxCom has the same basic features as your "typical" dual-channel compressor nowadays (gate threshold, threshold, ratio, attack, output, stereo switch) and it also features 2 sonic maximizers, one for each channel. It also features XLR and 1/4" I/Os in back. These units are, like many things nowadays, made in China.

I do a lot of slapping and i like a compressor that doesn't "pump" or produce noticeable dips unexpectedly. For reference, I set my compressors in a dual channel fashion using the settings that have been posted repeatedly on this site (those who have searched for compressor settings here know what I'm talking about - others can, and probably should, search for them - they have worked quite well for me).

The overall construction is better than I expect from Chinese-made rack units, given my experience. Appears to be ruggedly built. The dials seem to be solid and tight, but it does possess two sets of rather ugly LED meters. Doesn't bother me.

I run this compressor in my effects loop through my G-K RB700II.

The compressor itself offers nice transparency (perfect for me, at least) and the manner in which it lends punch to my slap tone is instantly noticeable. I compared it side-by-side to my dbx 262, which is also a solid unit, and I actually found it to be more transparent while affording far greater punch.

Sure, you can spend a lot of bread and get a high-end one, but, for $125.00, the BBE MaxCom is the best compressor I have personally owned yet. Just my opinion and YMMV. These are typically found on ebay for around $199.00, which is a fair price, in my opinion, given the compressors I've owned and played (mostly dbxs, ARTs and an Aphex) in that range.

2. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    i can't wait for the pedal bbe compressor to come out!

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Have you dialed in the Sonic Maximizer on either or both channels? If only one, which one, 1 or 2? How did it sound?

If I get one, I'm thinking I'll connect both channels in series and just use the Sonic Max on the second channel...I like the 266xl/362 set up I have now, but to gain an extra rack space for say a power conditioner... :meh:

4. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Good question, Rev. I found that it was only necessary to dial it in on the second channel when running through both channels. I tried dialing in both and dialing it in on the first one only and I found that it was best when turned on for the second channel. When dialing it in on the first one, I don;t think you get the complete effect because it is then compressed. I've always found that the sonic maximizer works best when it is the last in a chain (i.e., unaffected).

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I've found the same thing (Sonic Maximizer last...)! I think I'm going to put this back on my wishlist...it supposedly uses the same chipset as the dbx 166XL, so the comp has GOT to be good...

...the Sonic Maximizer though...it functions up to snuff in what is basically a multi (or dual) purpose unit? Same with the comp?

6. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Rev: In my opinion, yes. I have an old Sonic Maximizer unit and this one easily stands up to it.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    almost a year later, trying one out...most likely will go ahead and buy it...so far so good! A little noisy, but I have yet to try it in a gig situation and my house has bad wiring, so we shall see...