1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BDDI DI quality

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Aug 12, 2012.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Here is my issue, unfortunately I don't yet have an audio interface to be able to record myself. So I can't really just try it and hear the difference myself.

The question is simple, where should I take a DI out from in my setup? I have a Sansamp BDDI and my MB210 GK amp also has a DI out. I usually take it out of amp and not the BDDI. Should it go out of the BDDI instead?

2. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Any thoughts?

3. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    It depends on what you want. I use my BDDI for a little tube emulation. As long as you're not crazy with the EQ it works great. I run most of my knobs close to noon including the blend. This will give the FOH a good signal to work with. You can do onstage EQ with your amp.

4. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks so much. Unfortunately, I only really like the sound of the bddi for trying to get a Geddy Lee type tone. I usually dial the treb and bass down on the bddi in an effort to combat the mid scoop. I like the idea of tube emulation to add some growl, but the bddi seems to burry me under the mix. So, it's a question of how clear the DI itself is on the unit (even when bypassed). I know the para driver would be better for me but I can't afford one :-(

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Take the DI out on the amp then. If you've got the option of pre/post EQ, you can always set it to post and still use the BDDI to change the tone when needed.

It really depends on what you're doing with it. For gigging, I usually just give the FOH a nice solid pre EQ DI signal. That way they can do exactly what they need to make it sound good FOH.

6. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, my amp is pre-EQ only DI. I tend to only do very minor eq adjustments anyway so it's no big deal either way

7. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The original concept behind our Bass Driver DI was that you would plug into it and send the parallel output to your bass amp and use it as your normally would. You would then send the SansAmp output to the mixing board which would give you the sound of a tube emulated mic'd amp vs the sound of your bass guitars pickups.

When you run the Bass Driver in series with your amp the EQ section of the host amp may not work well with the EQ of the Bass Driver. This will often exacerbate the mid-scoop.

You could take the DI out of the amp if you are running the Bass Driver in series with it. You can also take the XLR out of the Bass Driver as well. Unless you are playing stadiums, the sound of your bass in the room will be a combination of your live amp sound and the sound that is coming through the PA system. I'm assuming you were asking about a live performance situation.