1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

beating the ache on slapping hand

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by chikin79, Sep 28, 2013.

1. chikin79

chikin79

Aug 21, 2013
    Hey guys im fairly new to this double bass stuff but find my slapping hand aches after only 5 or so mins. The ache seems to mainly be on the forearm just above when the bone sticks out on the wrist. Anyone got an tips or exercises other than to just keep playing lol
    Cheers in advance
    Craig

2. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Hey Chikin,

Motion to which you are not accustomed can bring aches and pains- some you have to work through but others are very important indicators that you are doing something wrong and should not be ignored.

Without seeing you play first hand, I might guess that you are holding too much tension in your slapping hand- but it could well be that you need to log more flight hours too...

Think of dribbling a basket ball- how much tension do you hold in your hand and wrist for that action? That is the best way I can describe how to approach slapping.

Check out "The Ungentle Art" by Mark Rubin and Kevin Smith. It's the best tutorial that I have found- or find a skilled slap player and take a lesson or two.

But don't ignore pain! Find out what's causing it and fix the problem!

Joe

3. chikin79

chikin79

Aug 21, 2013
    Ahh thank you. The basketball makes sense and after relaxing it seems to be much easier. Infact I was playing for much longer today without the ache so hopefully its just aumatter of clocking up a few more hours.
    I have just ordered the slapology dvd which I have heard is very good. Thank you for your reply very much appreciated.
    Cheers :)
    Craig

4. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Hey Craig,

Great! I'm glad the basketball analogy made sense.

Check out Joe Fick:

Keep up the good work bro!

Joe

5. chikin79

chikin79

Aug 21, 2013
    Memphis Evil is very good i am subscribed to him. I read about alot of people playing with their hands at an angle as opposed o perpendicular to the strings to save energy. This guy plays perpendicular and makes it look easy!

Look over on my bass i have RS4000's on it and with my action set at about 10m,. Im thinking this might be a touch high and might get it lowered.

Any views?

Cheers again :)
    Craig

6. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Do you work out?

I don't mean that as a pick up line. Just that being in generally fit condition tends to help.

7. 10mm isn't overly high, especially for slapping. Going too low might make it hard to get a good purchase on the strings with your fingertips on the "pull" slap.

I'll echo Joe regarding tension. Give your limbs (all of them) a nice floppy shake-out and stretch before you play, and check yourself while you're playing. I carry a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders and have to consciously let it go before and while I play or else I'll cramp up.

8. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    The perpendicular hand is very popular. I prefer to use what I have heard referred to as the "Milt Hinton" style- where the slapping hand is held like in a traditional jazz pizz approach. I think it's more relaxed- it is for me anyway!

Keeping relaxed is important. Also keep in mind that you are bouncing the string into the fingerboard, not smashing your hand against the fingerboard. You don't want the motion to have a "follow through" (think golf or tennis) that goes "through the fingerboard"- does that make sense?

Man, I'm trying to write stuff to explain, and I can't seem to come up with the right words...sorry!

Joe

9. chikin79

chikin79

Aug 21, 2013
    Honestly you guys are so much help. Never been on a forum which so much support so thank you very much. The chat up line made me laugh...at least offer me a drink! Lol. Yes I do work out (n9t as much as I have an 8 month old son) but id say im beefy so its not so much that. I think maybe give myself a good shake lol! And warm up first I tend to find im struggling more with the faster stuff so I guess ill slow down and work on my technique and hopefully the rest will follow. Alotof people rage on about how you should notplay perpendicular but im just going to do what feels good

Thanks again guys so much great info

Craig

10. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Craig-

I'm more than happy to pass on what little knowledge and experience I've been able to round up. :)

Curious though- do people suggest against perpendicular playing? I don't get out much, but the folks I've talked with never stated that one way was "better" than another- they just acknowledge that they are different.

FWIW- if anyone were to suggest perpendicular playing was "wrong" I'd make em look at that Joe Fick video I posted a link to earlier- nothin' wrong goin on there! :D

A good friend of mine who really helped me get my slapping where it is plays that way too- he's a BEAST!

I tried to convert to (or at least add) perpendicular playing to my repertoire but I couldn't get it to stick.

Keep on slappin! :bassist:

Joe

11. The two most important things are to breathe deeply and correctly, so your muscles have enough oxygen, and to stay totally relaxed and fluid.

Your angle of attack depends on a lot of things. I pull the strings with the pads of my index and middle fingers, and my middle finger is about 1/2" longer than my index. I try to angle my hand so my fingertips line up on the string. Other folks use their middle/ring fingers.

The other important thing to remember is that slapping looks violent and physical, but it's actually pretty gentle. Hooking your fingers under the string is a waste of energy and slows you down. Stroke your finger parallel to the floor across the string until the ball on the pad of your finger catches the string, let it catch and pull just a little, then release. The dribbling-a-basketball analogy is exactly what I do. I'm no Joe Fick but that technique works really well for me.

12. chikin79

chikin79

Aug 21, 2013
    Wonderful. Thanks guys for more smashing info! Right its practice practice practice. Ive starting getting to grips with it now. taken your advice and its really starting to come on.

One final question If i may. Is it me or is the E string the hardest bugger to catch properly. I seem to be able to slap with doubles without a problem on the other 3 strings but that E string that much closer to your body i find it harder to catch.

Cheers guys

Craig

13. chikin79

chikin79

Aug 21, 2013
    Forget that post its all sunk in! Had the most pain free practice. Ust relaxed and it all came together :)

14. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio

That's the main thing for sure!