Becoming a better metal bassist

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ltaggy123, Jan 21, 2018.

1. ltaggy123

ltaggy123

Jan 18, 2015
    England, Harlow
    So I have been playing some metalcore on my 4 string ibanez in drop C. But I have really been wanting to get into more 5 string drop B / drop A stuff and I am just never using that bass. However I have noticed that a lot of death metal / deathcore bands just don't release bass tabs. Anyone know some good heavy bands with nice 5 string bass lines that have tabs out there? Really want to improve my technique.

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Three tips to becoming a better metal bassist:

1. Ear training! (So you don't need TAB.)

2. Learn to play all 12 keys without retuning.

3. Build your "musical vocabulary" of songs that you know. Learn songs not only by your favorite bands, but also by their musical influences that came before them. Try googling "top 100 metal songs of all time" and similar lists, then learn as many of those songs as you can (by ear).

Good luck! :)

ltaggy123 likes this.
  3. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    From my personal experience-
    Good luck trying to hear the bass in the Death Metal songs, compositions.:roflmao:

4. Tritones.
    Flatted 5ths.

5. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    the most logical way to be a better metal bassist is to not play metal.

Nashrakh, Seanto, Loring and 3 others like this.
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    That was going to be my advice. Turn down and let the tuned down guitars completely drown you out.

7. HauntedDave

HauntedDave

Mar 7, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Seasoned pros have said it, and I'll say it too. Don't drown yourself in one style of music when it comes to practice. Expanding what you listen to will most certainly improve your skill in no matter what genre you actually play.

SunnBass, Sneakyfish and Das Jugghead like this.
  8. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

I know it goes without saying, but you must first be sure you are playing the Best Bass for Metal.

Are you?

Loring likes this.
  9. Guy asks a serious question and everyone rips on him because he plays metal. There's the TalkBass we all know and love.

hintz, Nashrakh and SunnBass like this.
  10. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark

Have fun!

Loring likes this.
    SunnBass likes this.
  12. Loring

Loring Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Usually twins the guitar...

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021