Beginner Bass, but something with enough balls for studio recording

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by Luke Alaga, May 2, 2016.

1. Luke Alaga

Luke Alaga

May 1, 2016
    hi, first time posting on TalkBass

so, i'v been playing guitar for a couple months now and i'm looking to learn Bass. i plan on starting my own studio to pursue a solo act, so i need a bass guitar, it needs to be something good for a beginner but not a cheap one, a proper one

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to TB!

You might be better off posting this in the "basses" forum. The "Ask a Pro" sections are great resources but they're often too busy for detailed answers to general questions, usually best to post here when you have a question that is specific to something you want Adam's opinion on (or Lee Sklar or any of the other pros in the section).

As far as the question itself goes, the best thing to do is to set a budget, then go to a music store and try out all the basses they have that are in your budget. Buy the one that you like the look, feel, and tone of best. It's as simple as that; there are lots and lots and LOTS of great basses in the world, and it's really a matter of picking one that appeals to YOU. Probably the most common "default" basses would be the Fender Jazz (J) or Precision (P) styles, but there are really lots and lots of different things to look at.

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    What kind of guitar(s) do you play? That might be a starting point, if you like your guitar, to check out basses manufactured by that same company.

4. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    Hey, and welcome! As hrodbert696 has mentioned already, it's best to start with a budget in mind. There are so many great choices of inexpensive instruments out there now that you will probably want to check out at least a handful that are in your price range. A few companies that have done a great job with higher quality inexpensive instruments are Yamaha, Ibanez, and Fender (Squire). They will all sound a bit different based on their configurations so I highly recommend you give them a test drive!

5. gimmeagig

gimmeagig Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Coeur D'Alene,Idaho
    Can't go wrong with a P Bass