1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner books

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 77PBass, Dec 10, 2011.

1. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    Have a friend who is giving his son a bass for Christmas. Can anyone recommend a starter book or play along book for a beginner?

I started on a Mel Bay book 35 years ago. Today I use Abersold and the Internet for jazz and circus tricks.

2. chrisboggon

chrisboggon

Dec 10, 2011
    Hal Leonard Bass Method Complete Edition is a good one. Teaches the basics of quite a few techniques as well as reading standard notation and tab. It also comes with a CD, very good book.

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Good suggestion, but if the person is starting from absolute scratch, then IMO "Bass Guitar for Dummies" would be better. Comes with a CD. The "Bass Method" book would then make a great follow up.

4. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like The Complete Idiot's Guide as a role of the bassist type of book. And Hal Leonard for the method book. But the I'm prejudiced, I was on Guitar Noise where the writer, David Hodge answered questions. So I have done no more then flip through the Dummies book before all the book stores closed

5. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    +1 to Hal Leonard method by Ed Friedland