1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginning Electric Bass Book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Julia H, Sep 11, 2019 at 9:50 PM.

1. Julia H

Julia H Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Hello!

I am a fairly new private teacher, and I am struggling to find a good method book to start electric bass students who need to learn how to read notation!

I have plenty of songs and exercises to give students who either never want to read music or already know how, but I need something that will introduce how to read basic notes and rhythms while also emphasizing techniques idiomatic to the instrument.

Any recommendations??

2. Fred Pucci

Fred Pucci

May 2, 2019
    Ariane Cap’s “Music Theory for the Bass Player” for sure!
    Best $30 any of your students will ever make. Systematic presentation and coverage of theory with plenty of focus on proper technique. Head and shoulders better than just about every other manual out there. Find out more here: Videos included with the book (Music Theory for the Bass Player)

3. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    If you are looking for song books here are two with a total of 120 songs I've just bought.

The Ultimate Bass Songbook is a Hal-Leonard publication of 70 songs, with standard notation treble, bass clef, tab and chord name with lyrics.

Then First 50 Songs You Should Play on Bass - another Hal-Leonard publication this time in tab with chord name and lyrics. No standard notation.

Neither of these will help with technique they are just song books. Technique is left to you.

Amazon.com will let you see which songs are included in each.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 1:10 PM
  4. When I started teaching, I previewed all the bass method books available. Hal Leonard’s Book, by Ed Friedland is the most popular, but I chose this one:

Beginning Bass for Adults

catcauphonic likes this.
  5. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    With ths in mind, go for Cliff Engel's sightreading for bass course. Hard to beat from the perspective of what you are looking for.