1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Behringer BX4500H Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassking511, Apr 6, 2006.

1. im looking at heads in the 300-450W range for about under 400 bucks. I saw the Behringer BX4500H. It's $250 and 450W...is it any good

also i heard the ashdown Mag 300 h is good( but it's only 307 w)

any advice, thanks
    ------------------------------------------------
    Ibanez GSR 200, Transparent Red Cherry
    ghetto 15w keyboard amp( soon to be lit on fire in my yard)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I wouldn't get a behringer. I have one, and I regret getting it

PLEASE SEARCH, THERE'S TONS OF INFO ON BEHRINGER.

3. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    The Behringer is nice for that price. But if you go used, you can find much better deals.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have done well with my Behringer 300w head.

5. People seem to really be negative on Behringer, however I think that most of it is simply people going along with the crowd rather than really commenting on personal experience.
    That being said, I haven't tried any of their cabs, but I do have the BX4500H and for the money it's fantastic.

Yes, there are features on it that I could certaintly do without (like the octave down feature) but it's been good and reliable to me for almost a year now.

6. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I had a BX1200. The ultrabass is useless, and I would play it at volume 4 gain 10, and it would start smelling like burning plastic. I think the power supply fan died. Had it for 29 days, sent it back on the 33rd day to zzounds. Thank god I did. Get a much nicer head for the same price used. And I am speaking from experience. But yes, most of the people on here are "Ampeg this" and "eden that".... If you're looking for low cost, get a used peavey or something.

7. Get a Peavey Firebass 700 or Max 700 (same head with different coloured faceplate), ive seen them brand new condition on the US ebay for $300, and they are really good heads for the price, really powerful too, 475 watts @ 4 ohm and 700 watts @ 2 ohm, peavey rate things really conservativley IMO aswell, because its pretty damned loud :D , oh, and i would doubt you would have to worry about it breaking ;) , only downside is it might be a little on the heavy side, but im not complaining because it weighs less than half what my SVT-II does in its case!

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My guitarist had a Berhinger. It crapped out fairly quickly, and dealing with Berhinger service was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. The stuff is not bad sounding, but theres a pretty good chance that the head dies and then you are left with pretty much nothing. Look used for something better.

9. I have had by BX4500 head and BB410 cab for about a year now and I'm very happy with it. I spent over 2 months looking for second hand stuff in shops and on eBay and couldn't find anything reasonable at even twice the price I paid for the rig.

At a gig the other week, I lent my rig to the other band's bass player and she was so impressed with the Behringer sound I ended up having to talk her out of selling her Fender head and EV cab! At least three other people came up to her/me and said how good she sounded that night too.

Turns out she has an EV 115 cab and I think she probably needs a 410 of some sort but she is still going off to buy the same rig as me (she's keeping her other head/cab as well though!).

10. I've owned Behringer, and Ashdown.

In fact, I currently have the Ashdown Mag300 head.

Seriously - get the Ashdown. It's much nicer.

The difference between 300watts and 450 watts is actually very little (almost nothing) in volume terms.

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It takes 10X the number of watts for something to be 2X as loud.

12. That's very true, and the wattage must double for the volume difference to even be perceptible.

Like I said - there's almost no difference between 300w and 450w ;)

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What cab are you using?