1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

behringer vintage bass (vb1) review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by s_mcsleazy, Oct 22, 2010.

1. now because it was a behringer i wasnt expecting alot but the anoying thing is i didnt even want to buy it. i wanted to buy a electro-harmonix bass balls insted. so i went into a shop that had the bassballs for £35 used and i asked to try it out so insted they brought me the vb1 saying "well why would you want the bassballs when you can have this" so i told them "listen ive had trouble with behringer stuff in the past so i would like to try the bassballs insted" but they just said "if you dont give this a try then we will kick you out the shop" so i gave it a try and within less than a min they said "we will ring that up for you" so i ended up paying £20 more on a pedal i hardly played but because im british ill try to make the best of the situation.

so i got home and actually forgot i had the pedal untill today. because i forgot i brought the pedal (nearly 6 months ago) i brought a micro synth insted (the guitar one not the bass one)but i thought ill try it out. plugged it in as normall into my amp and set the sensitivity at 2 so it would only trigger if i played really hard. played as hard as i could and the thing wasnt giving a hint on envelope. i decided to try more sensitivity so i went up to 5 and played as hard as i could and i was getting some envelope but not much so i figured i may aswell try the sensitivty at 10. played as hard as i could and still not getting alot of envelope. i was getting more than when it was on 5 but not half as much as i should have got.

then i decided to try the distortion switch and drop the sensitivity down to about 5. i was getting alot more envelope but i was finding it wasnt a verry apealing sound because the distortion was verry raspy. i decided to try adding more sensitivity and it was sounding less and less appealing by the second. so i tryed turning the sensitivity down to 3 and it dissapeared again.

at this point i thought to myself "ok fine ill use it like i use my micro synth. ill put a big muff befor it" stuck the big muff befor it and even with the sensitivty at 10 it wasnt giving alot of filter so i decided to turn on the distortion on the vb1 and that sounded really bad. so at that point i was getting anoyed.

then the idea hit me put the big muff AFTER the vb1. it sounded alot better but with the distortion on the vb1 off i was still getting no filter even with the level on the muff down low. i turned on the distortion switch and got this really un-usuall sound. it wasnt a good or a bad sound it was just a kinda squeeky sound when i played and when i rolled down the volume on my bass it was feeding back so i just thought "**** that im going to stick by my micro synth"

these are my honist thoughts on the pedal. i didnt like it half as much as i liked the electro-harmonix bassballs that i played at my friends house. so if you see one of these things in a pawn shop or whatever just keep in mind ITS A BEHRINGER

p.s this is going to sound like me nit picking but the switch feels really strange. it doesnt click like a normall switch, insted its strange but it doesnt actually turn on untill the switch is coming back up.