Behringer Xenyx302USB (mixer) vs Behringer U-Phoria UM2 (audio interface)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by pedrorolo, Apr 30, 2020.

1. pedrorolo

pedrorolo

Oct 4, 2010
    I am a bass player who is considering purchasing one of these. At a first sight, the Xenyx is just like a better UM2, with more channels a controls. Is there any reason why it would be better to get the UM2 instead?

options:
    - Xenyx 302USB Mixer
    - U-Phoria UM2 USB Audio Interface

pre-existing material:

- two passive bass guitars
    - a Laney RBW200 amp, with a D.I. XLR out and an effects loop, but no headphones out.
    - a VOX AC1 Rhythmbox Bass mini amp, with a noisy output an with a very low volume headphones-out.
    - my cellphone, from which I use to play backing tracks and rhythm loops

I plan to use the new acquisition for the following use cases:

- the new acquisition as stand-alone headphone amp with backing track, with bass directly plugged in into one input and backing track into the other;
    - the same as before, but with my bass-amp (which has a XLR D.I. out) in between the bass and the new acquisition through an XLR cable.
    - recording the result of the last setup with few noise a good enough tone, without requiring pro quality tone

- foreseeable future setups involving effects-pedals, with or without the amp (which has an effects loop)

I know that the UM2 will limit my backing tracks to a mono input. The main thing I want to know is what do I get in exchange for abiding the stereo of the backing track; the physical EQ knobs and the additional inputs, namely:

- Will I get less noise with the UM2?
    - Will I get a louder headphone out with the UM2?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Having a little mixer is sure handy. You'll have some EQ controls for quick tweaking. You can always use it as a plane old mixers without the USB.

A typical passive "Bass" guitar is between a Mic level and a Line level so you made need a pre-amp when you go straight into the mixer. If you have an active bass you'll be OK.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021