1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ben Shepherd - 6 String Masterclass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by phillipkregg, Oct 25, 2018.

1. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Has anyone here tried the Ben Shepherd master class for 6 string bass found here:

6 String Bass Lesson (1) - Ben Shepherd - Playing Chords

I'm finding myself in more and more playing situations where I need to comp with chords and this seems to be the only video series that I can find where someone is giving tips on chord voicings and comping for bass guitar.

gebass6 likes this.
  2. I haven't looked into his chord building lessons, but I've studied his playing and solos. He's the primary bassist for Peter Erskine's "Dr. Um Band". Janek Gwizdala also has a chord study book and he was the first bassist with Peter's band.

phillipkregg likes this.
  3. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Don't know if it has to be exactly 6-string for the original poster, but Damian Erskine did a full workshop session over at SBL and has a chapter in his book about chordal playing. Not to mention Todd Johnson's DVD+book titled something like Fishing For Grips, with the entirely devoted to chordal playing on the 6 string bass.

BMGecko and phillipkregg like this.
  4. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks! I'll look into those as well... 6 string is what I'm targeting.